Page 29 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by thcourbon View Post
    Does anyone know where the reverting of dc22ee6fc18ce0f15424e753e8473c306ece95c1 (or better, a fix for the introduced bug) is in mainline kernel ?

The kernel bugzilla still seems to be offline currently, so I don't really know where I can manifest my interest in getting that regression fixed or sending over log and such...

Also, I'm currently testing my UX31 (128Go + Elantech touch pad) with 12.04 alpha1. So far, out of the box, the following don't work:
    - can't boot without adding nomodeset to the kernel command line (as expected)
    - multitouch works, somewhat (I wasn't able to enable the two-fingers scrolling in the gnome configuration applet where the touchpad tab is missing, but I may have missed some options).
    - usb-to-ethernet do'nt work (as expected)
    - no resuming after closing the lid

I'm planning to open bugs (or bumping some old ones) in order to get as many things as possible to work out of the box with Precise.
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...473c306ece95c1

I'm sure you know, but if you revert that patch, follow the wiki, and try some of the grub options towards the end of this thread, you'll have a lot better performance and stability.

Beans

nomego: thanks for the update.

jonjondwillis: Following a wiki, adding some user-made script, recompiling a kernel (or isntalling a unsupported one) and so on, all of that doesn't fit my definition of "out of the box". But nevermind, I'll just try to push the issues so the developper would look into it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by scarleo View Post
    Does anyone have trouble with bad sound from the internal speakers on UX31? I think there's a lot of distortion even on quit low volumes, are the speakers just that crappy or is it drivers missing or is there anything wrong with my hardware? Thanks.
    This happens with me in both windows 7 and ubuntu. I think it depends on the frequency range. Some things can play back quite loud without distorting, others are not so good....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nomego View Post
    Zapiens: I get around 6W at its lowest when booting with:

Code:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
    However, when I add

Code:
    i915.modeset=1 pcie_aspm=force
    it can go as low as 4.7W. This is on 3.2.
    Is that only on kernel 3.2 or can that be done on kernel 3.1.0 as well??
    I am trying to find a way to get the max battery that I can (right now I am only getting about 4.5 hours out of the battery).

Thanks.

ironmant7x

Beans

ironmantis7x: Those parameters can be used with 3.1 as well. I'm not sure if any significant power saving features have gone into 3.2. Please try booting with those parameters as well as the power saving script from the wiki, start a terminal, set the screen to the lowest brightness and run powertop (and let it settle for 30 seconds).
    If you get around 4.7W, you have the most power saving setup we know of yet. Please report back however it goes!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tabuvudu View Post
    My experiences concerning the Elantech touchpad:

1. in Ubuntu default kernel 3.0 is only recognised as pointing device, no multitouch available. This is also true for latest 3.0.14. However both hard buttons work correctly.
    2. In series 3.1 kernels recognised as a touchpad device, multitouch available. Right click button does not work, but can be emulated through two-finger tap. Vertical and horizontal scroll work if enabled in configurations. The best support can be available through KDE configurator, there for instance a three-finger tap can be configured as middle-button.
    3. In series 3.2 touchpad support is identical to 3.1 described above.
    does left click work for you with 3.1 and 3.2? simple left clicking works for me with one finger tapping ( configurable through KDE configurator) but it's not possible to select any text nor use scroll bars where it is necessary to click on a certain location and then move the cursor to complete the task.

Beans

The internal screen on my UX31 seems to have given up, bios, grub and ubuntu 11.10 runs fine on VGA and HDMI but nothing on the internal screen. When trying to enable it from ubuntu:s settings everything freezes.

Unfortunately I "lost" both the recovery partition when installing ubuntu (and I didn't create the recovery images).

Anyone that knows where I can download recovery images ?

/Fredrik

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hatsch View Post
    does left click work for you with 3.1 and 3.2? simple left clicking works for me with one finger tapping ( configurable through KDE configurator) but it's not possible to select any text nor use scroll bars where it is necessary to click on a certain location and then move the cursor to complete the task.
    when left hard button pressed, the cursor does not move. both in 3.1 and 3.2. double tap to click and select works though...

Beans

I've built 3.2-rc5 packages with the reverted fix. They're tagged as -rc4 because I forgot to change the changelog. As they take an hour or so to build I've left them as is.

I've been using on this laptop for the last 30 minutes or so without any issues with the following in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1"

I had to remove the lvds downclock or it crashed within a few minutes of boot.

Packages are at http://bashton.com/downloads/ux31_3.2-rc5/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nomego View Post
    ironmantis7x: Those parameters can be used with 3.1 as well. I'm not sure if any significant power saving features have gone into 3.2. Please try booting with those parameters as well as the power saving script from the wiki, start a terminal, set the screen to the lowest brightness and run powertop (and let it settle for 30 seconds).
    If you get around 4.7W, you have the most power saving setup we know of yet. Please report back however it goes!

nomego: will do this after I get through my final exams this week for school...

Thanks for the updates everyone!!

By the way: have any power saving changes been put into kernel 3.2 yet??

ironmantis7x

Page 29 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast