Page 27 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

I get no display at all with 3.2.0-rc4 and grub options

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1"

I disabled VTd in the BIOS (on version 2.07). I get the purple screen of grub, then a few flickers as it presumably switches modes, then nothing at all. Alt+f1 does nothing.

Tried booting without the quiet splash part, exactly the same.

I wonder if my laptop has slightly different gfx hardware? I know some people didn't need my 'hacky workaround' even with the stock kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Bashtoni View Post
    I get no display at all with 3.2.0-rc4 and grub options

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1"
    i think it should be i915.modeset=0 until the kernel bug is resolved.

Beans

tabuvudu, do you have 3D acceleration working as well? I am able to log in with a 3.2 RC4 kernel only if I use i915.modeset=0 (which causes me to lose 3D accel). Using i915.modeset=1 gives me a blank screen after boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tabuvudu View Post
    i915.semaphores=1 + disabling VTd in BIOS may have cut it. Full day without random shutdowns. UX21E with core i7 2677M here with Elantech touchpad.

My config:
    1. Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
    2. Kernel 3.2 RC4 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    3. kernel config in /etc/default/grub: quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 The machine froze a couple of times (not the sudden shutdown, but freeze requiring hard reboot). I deleted the iommu option from the suggestions above and it seems stable after that.
    4. In the BIOS options disable the VTd. I have an unmodified default BIOS, dont know the nuber though. Can check if important.
    5. Scripts for sleep (without the hacky workaround) and pm. Thanks for providing that.

I have been using the machine for he full day. No problems after disabling iommu kernel options. Seems quite stable and now at last a usable machine.

best regards

PS. I had tried default ubuntu kernel 3.0, 3.1 and Opensuse with default kernel 3.1. Shutdowns happened on each configurations at least once. 3.2rc4 is much better in terms of multitouch support and power consumption.

4. In the BIOS options disable the VTd.

Thank you!
    The computer has been working OK since i disable that option!

3.2rc4-reverted
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.semaphores=1 i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nomego View Post
    Also, everyone please try my suspend/resume script from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=241 and report whether it works and what kernel version. For me, that works as well as the one on the wiki but reduces the time it takes to suspend and resume.
    Works just fine. Left me with the impression the resumes are slower though. My kernel is ubuntu compiled 3.1.3:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux hyperion 3.1.3-030103-generic #201111261351 SMP Sat Nov 26 18:51:57 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by tabuvudu View Post
    i915.semaphores=1 + disabling VTd in BIOS may have cut it. Full day without random shutdowns. UX21E with core i7 2677M here with Elantech touchpad.

My config:
    1. Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
    2. Kernel 3.2 RC4 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    3. kernel config in /etc/default/grub: quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 The machine froze a couple of times (not the sudden shutdown, but freeze requiring hard reboot). I deleted the iommu option from the suggestions above and it seems stable after that.
    4. In the BIOS options disable the VTd. I have an unmodified default BIOS, dont know the nuber though. Can check if important.
    5. Scripts for sleep (without the hacky workaround) and pm. Thanks for providing that.
    I tried the same but it never booted after grub. While using i915.modeset=0 it did boot but with no hardware accel as mentioned. My Elantech touchpad was recognized and had multituch working... ish. It was like this: works for second or two, then completely stops for few seconds, works for second or two and stops again and so on. Very disappointing to be so close but just not there yet

My machine is UX31E with the i5-2557M. Unfortunately the boards does not let me upload anything so no dmidecode from me

UPDATE: One last thing. After creating a /etc/defaults/cpufreutils file with GOVERNOR="powersave" the governor was set to performance instead. I don't have the slightest idea why! Can someone point me to the cpufreq configuration documentation? man cpufreq, man cpufrequtils and so on got me nowhere.
    Last edited by iron4o; December 9th, 2011 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

iron4o:
    You need to revert a certain commit to get 3.2rcANYTHING to work.
    Code:
    git revert hashtagOfBadCommit
    Compile the new kernel and profit.

Everyone else:

The semaphores thing doesn't stop the random reboots. I just had one. I would love to be able to use RC6, but it shuts down at the most inopportune moments(like in the middle of git commits and compiling etc...)

nomego:

I am able to suspend perfectly without using the xhci part of the script.
    Also the only thing I notice with LVDS and FBC is a slight flicker when logging in other than that no issues.

Beans

iron4o: Thank you. I've updated with comments about kernels newer than 3.1 and the suspend script.
    Also, to get an insight into cpufrequtils, read the /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils script. You'll see that it reads /etc/default/cpufrequtils and what variables it honors.

shakabra: Great, and you run 3.2 ? Did you try the script verbatim or did you leave the DPMS stuff in there ? Does LVDS or FBC do anything for battery time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yes I am currently running 3.2RC5 (still need to revert the bad commit). I took out the DPMS stuff. All I have in there is the parts to unload EHCI.
    Also I haven't done any solid tests, but according to Phoronix they do help battery, but not as much as RC6

Beans

Zapiens: So I take it you have an Elantech touchpad?
    Yes you are right about that.

That patch you supplied is what you get if you run "git revert dc22ee6fc18ce0f15424e753e8473c306ece95c1".
    My bad, now I see the commit in the log, and can thus revert it.

nomego: How the ... did you manage to get power consumption down to 4.7W?

Power consumption is strange. I check the power drain by:

Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep rate
    present rate:            9884 mW
    The power consumption takes a while to stabilize it seems, went away and got some coffee, back again and it was down to 7200mW. Still far from 4700mW. This by running the power script. When I reduce brightness to 10% it gets down to 6200mW. Where do I get the last 1500mW?

By using <fn>F5 and setting backlit to lowest value I got below 6000mw for the first time:

Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep rate
    present rate:            5782 mW
    Strange, pressing the keys <fn>F5 <fn>F6 does not affect the value of /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

The sporadic shutdowns I have encountered in rc4 and the commits up to and including rc5. Shut downs so far has for me happened after 8-10 hours uptime, numerous suspend and wake up inbetween.

/Z
    Last edited by Zapiens; December 10th, 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Correction

Beans

SoAGr: Hmm that's interesting, is it the UX31E or UX21E ? 32 or 64 bit ? Can you reproduce this with rc4 from the same place ?
    I've got the UX31E and it runs the 64 bit version of Linux Mint 12. Also I tried to boot with rc4 without any success only if I use i915.modeset=0 i get to the login screen but have no 3D acceleration, also the touchpad is not correctly recognized. Just tried rc5 also without any success.
    All kernels were downloaded from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/

Page 27 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast