Page 26 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

nomego: I am runnning 3.2RC4 and my sdcard reader doesn't work either. I never use it so not a big deal.

I will try my suspend/resume without the script when this program finishes compiling.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks everyone for this magnificent work!

Looking at the new release of intel graphics (new but older of what it's being currently used in the thread I suspect):

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q4.html

I found a kernel parameter thay may be worth trying:

Semaphores are not enabled by default on all generation of graphics cards. Enablement of semaphores solves several stability issues on Ivy Bridge graphics cards, such as GPU hangs, and improved stability and performance on Sandy Bridge generation of graphics cards. The drawbacks are occasional stability issues on some systems with VTd enabled. Semaphores can be enabled manualy via the i915.semaphores=1 kernel parameter.
    Do anyone know if it's enabled by default in kernels newer than 3.1?

thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

***Update***
    Kernel 3.2RC4 w/bad commit reverted.
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie_aspm=force i915.lvds_downclock=1 quiet splash"

The "Hacky" workaround is no longer needed. Display resumes like it's supposed to. The script is still needed to unload/load the xhci+ehci modules.

I tried without the script completely and also with a unload_modules file in /etc/pm/config.d and neither work.

Beans

shakabra: Did you try modifying the script to only unbind ehci_hcd?
    I have no need for SUSPEND_MODULES or mentioning xhci_hcd in the suspend script..

Are you noticing any drawbacks with FBC or LVDS downclock?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iron4o View Post
    * I set my cpufreq to 'powersave'. I just don't trust the 'ondemand' thing Make this script run after user login if you want to:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

for cpu in "0" "1" "2" "3" 
    do  
        cpufreq-selector -g powersave -c $cpu
    done
    How did you get this script to run automatically after user login??

ironmantis7x

Beans

ironmantis7x: If you always want to have powersave governor, regardless of being on AC or battery, you can just do this:

Code:
    echo 'GOVERNOR="powersave"' | sudo tee /etc/default/cpufrequtils
    That will set the governor to powersave when the computer starts up.
    (To revert, just delete /etc/default/cpufrequtils and reboot.)

Another approach is to use powersave governor while on battery and ondemand when on AC - I have updated the powersave script on the wiki to do just that. (I chose to use cpufreq-set instead of cpufreq-selector since the former is much leaner and part of cpufrequtils, and the latter is part of gnome-applets, links against 3-4 times as many libraries and times out for me after setting the governor.)

Also, anyone using the USB->Ethernet adapter, please update the wiki with the link to the new version if that works as well as the 4.1 version.

Also, everyone please try my suspend/resume script from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=241 and report whether it works and what kernel version. For me, that works as well as the one on the wiki but reduces the time it takes to suspend and resume.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nomego View Post
    Also, anyone using the USB->Ethernet adapter, please update the wiki with the link to the new version if that works as well as the 4.1 version.
    Done, also included some lines how to compile it.
    Version 4.2 of asix driver works well under kernel 3.0.0-13

Galdrapiu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nomego View Post
    SoAGr: So this is the stock 3.2-rc2? From kernel.ubuntu.com ? When you switch to a tty, what resolution does it have - is it at 1600x900 or "VGA", will your desktop have hardware acceleration when you restart X?
    Yes this is the stock 3.2-rc2 from kernel.ubuntu.com and when I switch to tty the resolution is 1600x900 and hardware acceleration works. I've also tried to compile 3.2rc2, rc3, rc3 with the patch to get the screen working with hardware acceleration but had no success but it's my first try to compile a kernel so maybe I did something wrong

Also I forgot to thank all the people in this forum to get ubuntu working on the zenbook in my last post

Beans

Galdrapiu: Great work!

SoAGr: Hmm that's interesting, is it the UX31E or UX21E ? 32 or 64 bit ? Can you reproduce this with rc4 from the same place ?

Beans

i915.semaphores=1 + disabling VTd in BIOS may have cut it. Full day without random shutdowns. UX21E with core i7 2677M here with Elantech touchpad.

My config:
    1. Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
    2. Kernel 3.2 RC4 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    3. kernel config in /etc/default/grub: quiet splash pcie_aspm=force i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 The machine froze a couple of times (not the sudden shutdown, but freeze requiring hard reboot). I deleted the iommu option from the suggestions above and it seems stable after that.
    4. In the BIOS options disable the VTd. I have an unmodified default BIOS, dont know the nuber though. Can check if important.
    5. Scripts for sleep (without the hacky workaround) and pm. Thanks for providing that.

I have been using the machine for he full day. No problems after disabling iommu kernel options. Seems quite stable and now at last a usable machine.

best regards

PS. I had tried default ubuntu kernel 3.0, 3.1 and Opensuse with default kernel 3.1. Shutdowns happened on each configurations at least once. 3.2rc4 is much better in terms of multitouch support and power consumption.
    Last edited by tabuvudu; December 9th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Page 26 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast