Page 184 of 195 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by damyan5 View Post
    Still having the sudden shutdowns, running Kubuntu 12.10 on my UX21E. What did *not* resolve the issue for me:
    -- upgrading to newer kernel to 3.8.*
    -- upgrading to newer BIOS to 2.14
    -- kernel boot parameters whatsoever
    -- power tweaks
    -- sending it twice to ASUS. Battery, mainboard and CPU cooler were changed without effect, the sudden shutdown came up a week or two later.

So, I am giving up now. I'll send it back to the online shop I bought it from, insisting to get my money back. It's a pity, since I got no other issues with the notebook. Notably no WiFi problems, the battery runs 4-4:20h, what's fully acceptable for me.
    That is a pity to hear. I love so much this laptop but those sudden shutdowns are really a dealbreaker !
    My warranty is coming to end the beginning of April, I'm thus wondering if it's worth keeping it.
    I am going to try with 12.10 or Linux Mint or Fedora 17 which would bring me to kernel version 3.5+ which I hope will solve the problem (just need to find a hard drive to backup ...). If not I will probably hand it back to Asus.

By the way I have over 6 hours of battery using it for low demanding tasks with a power consumption about 6.5W according to powerstat.

Do people experience sudden shutdown on windows ?

Beans

The shutdowns occur in windows as well on my UX31, but seem to only occur in windows after doing a warm reboot from linux. It's as if linux is doing something in ACPI that corrupts the power table. Its not a big issue for me though, I normally just close the lid, then unplug power, this seems to prevent shutdown. Otherwise everything is perfect. My battery life is right on track with windows, if not a little better.

BTW I had to revert to BIOS 212. The newest bios from Asus broke a lot of things in linux (backlight control for example)
    Last edited by pezed; January 15th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pezed View Post
    The shutdowns occur in windows as well on my UX31, but seem to only occur in windows after doing a warm reboot from linux. It's as if linux is doing something in ACPI that corrupts the power table. Its not a big issue for me though, I normally just close the lid, then unplug power, this seems to prevent shutdown. Otherwise everything is perfect. My battery life is right on track with windows, if not a little better.

BTW I had to revert to BIOS 212. The newest bios from Asus broke a lot of things in linux (backlight control for example)
    Your script to de-/increase backlight is wrong for the 2.16 BIOS.
    I also upgraded to it and had to edit it.
    My UX31A was shipped with 2.14 (haven't found this one for download) and with that BIOS I had about 700 backlight steps or more -> with BIOS 2.16 only 10.
    Also with 2.16 the lowest setting isn't as low as with 2.14. In fact with 2.14 I was able to turn the light completly off -> how is it with 2.12?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nephtali View Post
    That is a pity to hear. I love so much this laptop but those sudden shutdowns are really a dealbreaker !
    My warranty is coming to end the beginning of April, I'm thus wondering if it's worth keeping it.
    I am going to try with 12.10 or Linux Mint or Fedora 17 which would bring me to kernel version 3.5+ which I hope will solve the problem (just need to find a hard drive to backup ...). If not I will probably hand it back to Asus.

By the way I have over 6 hours of battery using it for low demanding tasks with a power consumption about 6.5W according to powerstat.

Do people experience sudden shutdown on windows ?
    Hi guys, the sudden shutdowns problem is an hardware problem on the mainboard. It's a defect that is covered by the ASUS warranty. Infact it's present with every OS. So call ASUS and open a ticket.
    My Zenbook after the substitution of the mainboard now works perfectly with every OS.
    Hope this will help someone of you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pezed View Post
    what?!
    How did you revert back to 212?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rapy View Post
    Hi guys, the sudden shutdowns problem is an hardware problem on the mainboard. It's a defect that is covered by the ASUS warranty. Infact it's present with every OS. So call ASUS and open a ticket.
    My Zenbook after the substitution of the mainboard now works perfectly with every OS.
    Hope this will help someone of you!
    Ok, good to hear.
    I seem to be affected as I still suffer shutdowns with kernel 3.5.
    I'm currently playing with i915 module parameters to see if something helps. Couldn't try on windows as I accidently wiped out the partition (... I know ...)
    The problem is that I'm currently abroad for a long term. I hope Asus will accept a repair out of the country of purchase ...

EDIT : Have you also encountered freezes when unplugging AC ? It happens to me as well. Which makes me think about a motherboard issue as you describe.
    Last edited by Nephtali; January 17th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Beans

You have to do it using the windows flash utility.
    start it from command line using the following switch:

Winflash /nodate

Then it will allow you to revert to older versions.

Quote Originally Posted by pumo View Post
    what?!
    How did you revert back to 212?

Beans

Hi all,

Am sending my laptop into ASUS next week for repair (sudden shutdown issue), so I thought I'd wipe and try out Ubuntu Raring nightlies, you'll be pleased to know that the brightness control works again with BIOS 214!

I've not researched it yet, but I imagine it's a fix within kernel 3.8.0.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Danners View Post
    Hi all,

Am sending my laptop into ASUS next week for repair (sudden shutdown issue), so I thought I'd wipe and try out Ubuntu Raring nightlies, you'll be pleased to know that the brightness control works again with BIOS 214!

I've not researched it yet, but I imagine it's a fix within kernel 3.8.0.
    Danners, do you experience freeze when unplugging AC as well ?

Beans

Hi All,

kernel 3.7.3 has the following wireless fixes in it:
    commit 71351c91f95f986507a3bf05732284ad3e31dc85
    Author: Sujith Manoharan <c_manoha@qca.qualcomm.com>
    Date: Wed Dec 26 12:27:39 2012 +0530

ath9k_hw: Fix RX gain initvals for AR9485

commit a796a1dd5da9645ad77aa687d1a890ecd63ab5a6 upstream.

Populate iniModesRxGain with the correct initvals
    array for AR9485 v1.1

Signed-off-by: Sujith Manoharan <c_manoha@qca.qualcomm.com>
    Signed-off-by: John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com>
    Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>

commit 1ceaa1eb68534c48bf9107b6fe5ccc45222a3981
    Author: Felix Fietkau <nbd@openwrt.org>
    Date: Mon Dec 10 14:03:17 2012 +0100

ath9k_hw: Fix signal strength / channel noise reporting

commit b7c0c238898d200e80487516e2b67aba2a522cc0 upstream.

While AR_PHY_CCA_NOM_VAL_* does contain the expected internal noise floor
    for a chip measured in clean air, it refers to the lowest expected reading.

Depending on the frequency, this measurement can vary by about 6db, thus
    causing a higher reported channel noise and signal strength.

Factor in the 6db offset when converting internal noisefloor to channel noise.

This patch makes the reported values more accurate for all chips without
    affecting NF calibration behavior.

I just installed, so too early to tell if it really helps

Page 184 of 195 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast