Page 179 of 195 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeltopo View Post
    Since the problem with (un)plugging the AC power doesnt happen under windows (i think i remember someone saying he also didnt have this under fedore/arch, but not sure) it actually is a software/kernel issue.
    At the moment I am running the latest bios with kernel 3.6.0 from the official ppa. This is the moste stable combination I found after some tests, but it still suddenly shuts down when the battery is low (<30%) and heavy duty on the cpu...
    I am an Ubuntu user since almost 8 years and this issue with zenbook is taking me to evaluate the return to Windows. This pc is indispensable for my job and in this condiction is unusable.
    I am very sad, and this for me is an hard defeat..

Beans

Is there a way for reverting back to an older Bios? I'm asking because the builtin update client doesn't allow me to downgrade. At least I would like to downgrade to 212 for working backlight buttons (I already know about the workaround).

I also think that the AC-unplug failure isn't really related to the OS...because I NEVER got that kind of failure and I'm using Ubuntu for nearly a 3/4 year. Maybe it's related to some kind of extra energy settings? Or an altered hardware installation...maybe only people with (simplified) Elantech hardware version (i got the Sentelic version)?!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pezed View Post
    My zenbook just sat a week on standby in Ubuntu and it seemed fine, it had about 75% battery left upon powering back on. BIOS 212
    Do you have any power saving scripts or something like that?
    If so, could you post them?

The standby use with my UX21 is so bad, when I leave it overnight the battery is down to 60 or 70%...

Beans

I'm running kernel 3.6.3 compiled using the default ubuntu 12.10 config. I also made all the changes suggested by powertop. Otherwise everything else about the install is stock.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have set my cousin's Zenbook with Ubuntu 12.10 and installed both Jupiter and the eee-pc support, it runs with five hour power like my ASUS K53E with similar hardware and since the eee-pc script enables the SHE engine, he has no issues of power.

Beans

What are the bottom line is this device "asus zenbook (UX31)" is compatible with Ubuntu
    **I want to buy it safely

Beans

I'd say wifi is an issue, not that great. Can't tell if it's the hardware/build or just drivers though. For the rest it's great.

Beans

Good News!!

I have noticed that my zenbook runs cooler in ubuntu than in windows 7, and also the battery life is better. I'm going to try to start a ppa for the kernel I am running along with contributing my settings (which are just powertop suggestions). My zenbook is one of the sentelic touchpad models.

I also must add that the shutdowns during AC removal happen in windows as well. This does not appear to be a ubuntu issue but a zenbook issue. I work in IT and have seen the same behavior in several zenbooks.

confirm that unplugging under heavy load (make -j4 with all cpu going around 100%) shuts down the system. I'm on a UX31E (elantech pad) with 12.10 (all updated), kernel 3.6.3-030603-generic (from mainline kernel-PPA), bios 214, battery 100%. unplugging under low load (as in brwsing only does not shutdown)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

my zenbook UX31e also has this issue with sudden shutdowns when i plug off the AC Adapter.
    i am on ubuntu 12.04 i have no windows to test if the problem exists there too.

has anyone successfully sent such a zenbook in for repair?

Page 179 of 195 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast