Page 178 of 195 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

I found that my bluetooh mouse was not detected after upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10. Bluetooh settings showed it to be unpaired, I tried removing it then repairing it but it could not be detected. I rebooted and tried again it was detected and successfully paired. I did have this problem with 12.04 too, the mouse was fine then if I had to reboot into windows, which I very occasionally need to do, then on returning to Ubuntu the mouse was unpaired (not every time but now and then) but did repair easily each time.

I now have a new issue with bluetooh and the mouse, since upgrading if I close the lid and suspend the mouse does not work on wake up. If I right click with the mouse, which should activate the bluetooth connection as it did with 12.04, Ubuntu crashes and I get a blck screen with numerous lines of error report and the only thing to do is to hold down the power button to force shutdown then reboot.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any solution? My mouse is a Cliptec BT830

Beans

I'm using a kernel built from source, using the ubuntu .config file as follows:

Linux zen 3.6.3-zen #1 SMP Thu Oct 25 21:20:54 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It is great, power usage is low, machine runs great other than sometimes will just turn off/go dead when removing AC power. I'm running the newest BIOS (214). The funny thing is I dual boot with Windows 7 for work, and find that it sometimes exhibits the same problem in Windows. I'm starting to think its less of a software issue, and more of a BIOS/hardware issue.

Beans

Since the problem with (un)plugging the AC power doesnt happen under windows (i think i remember someone saying he also didnt have this under fedore/arch, but not sure) it actually is a software/kernel issue.
    At the moment I am running the latest bios with kernel 3.6.0 from the official ppa. This is the moste stable combination I found after some tests, but it still suddenly shuts down when the battery is low (<30%) and heavy duty on the cpu...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeltopo View Post
    Since the problem with (un)plugging the AC power doesnt happen under windows (i think i remember someone saying he also didnt have this under fedore/arch, but not sure) it actually is a software/kernel issue.
    Problem occurs with windows as well, definetely. I tried on my UX21E: (K)ubuntu 11.10/12.04/12.10, Fedora 17, Windows 7 Home Premium (ASUS preinstalled), Windows 7 Professional. Reproducable with all OS', BIOS update didn't help neither. I'll send my notebook for repair for second time just tommorrow, if it comes back broken once more, I'll return it to ASUS. That's a pitty, since I have no other software/hardware issues at all, had also < 7W when running kubuntu 12.10 with some power tweaking.

Anyone having the sudden shutdowns with UX21A/UX31A?

--
    Damyan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damyan5 View Post
    Anyone having the sudden shutdowns with UX21A/UX31A?

--
    Damyan
    I have my UX31A (BIOS 214, 256GB aData) for 3 weeks now and never had a "sudden death" when unplugging ac-power. (Win7/8 and Ubuntu 12.04)
    With the xorg-edgers packages installed I got some problems (freezes, usb-storage not detected, graphical glitches) but with the offical updated 12.04 it runs (almost) perfectly.
    When the FN-brightness keys and the brightness sensor would work it really would be perfect.

Beans

I also never got any sudden shutdowns when running Ubuntu. Never tried with Windows because I removed it at the second day. I got the Laptop since March 12.

But beside this, I got two "new" Problems. First one is the power draining issue on Standby (where I don't got an idea how to Debug or even resolve it). Any ideas on how to start with?
    The second Problem is a new one. On 12.10 I got sudden changes to a read-only /home partition (/ and /home got two seperate partitions). When using the "old" 12.04 Kernel, /home never changes to read-only. Is someone else experiencing this Problem too?
    I think it's related to this Bug Report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1063354

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Scream275 View Post
    First one is the power draining issue on Standby (where I don't got an idea how to Debug or even resolve it). Any ideas on how to start with?
    This is not a fix, but rather a work-around.

I am now using hybrid suspend-hibernate mode. After some amount of time (for me, 10 minutes) it will switch from suspend to hibernate. Since we have an SSD, the hibernate resumes in < 10 seconds, and incurs 0% battery loss during that time. I definitely recommend it.

Although this is not a fix, it definitely makes sense to use hibernate with an SSD, so I'm happy with this compromise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gfmichaud View Post
    So we are sure wifi problems are caused by a kernel issue ?
    Network Manager has nothing to do with it (as discussed in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/971809), has it ?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=25
    Last edited by wag1; November 7th, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: UPD

Beans

The standby power use has been utterly disgusting since BIOS 211, now we have 213, I think it's safe to assume ASUS doesn't care to fix this.

Does anyone know of a way to solve the standby power problem without reverting back to BIOS 210, which seems to be worse with the shutdown-on-unplug problem?

Beans

My zenbook just sat a week on standby in Ubuntu and it seemed fine, it had about 75% battery left upon powering back on. BIOS 212

Page 178 of 195 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast