Page 176 of 195 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    Is that with the HDMI connected? You may do better to ask about this issue in the forum for your laptop. See below:
    It's with HDMI connected.
    So i post on the right topic.
    Thank's

Beans

I've measured it now: The Laptop drains about 22% in 18 houres on standby.
    That's way to much

In Comparison, my normal System-On time is okay...about 6 houres
    Last edited by Scream275; September 18th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Beans

I got some (bad) news on the poweroff-on-unplug-problem.

I sent my UX21E for repair, since the problem appeared on a new windows 7 installation as well. I got it back yesterday. Repair log: new mainboard, new cooler, BIOS update. Well, no poweroffs on the fresh ASUS windows 7 home premium installation. Though, same behavior with ubuntu 12.10 beta -- poweroff when battery reaches 15% or when unplugging cord on heavy CPU load (watching Youtube video in fullscreen is enough).

I really don't know what to do, I am desperate now. I can not sent it back once more, since no problem whatsoever with windows. I guess I'll have to sell it.

Damyan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just did an apt-get upgrade and found that grub has been updated.

Does anybody know how we add back any parameters. Also, what parameters do we need these days? (I'm talking about power usage, and other optimizations.)

For the record, I'm seeing 6.47W of power draw on a clean un-edited grub config.

Thanks.

Beans

Hey,
    setting boot parameters is still the same as befor, just put them in your "/etc/default/grub" and everything should be fine. I am currently using the parameters from the wiki "pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1" with the latest 3.6 kernel. With alpm activated i get 8.23W with regular desktop usage (Browser, IM, Flash).

I just installed the latest Ubuntu Gnome Remix Beta and wanted to share some observations:

1) After a clean install the graphics driver was llvmpipe, but after installing all available updates i got the regular intel driver without any problems.

2) The Touchpad (Elantech) works out of the box with right click via the bottom right corner of the pad and the two finger tapping. Also two finger scrolling works.

3) The powercord (un)plug problem still occurs. But i dont know where this actually comes from... maybe some kernel issue.

4) One very anoying problem is, that DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling) doesn't really work and the settings in the control center are ignored. The screen goes black every 10min when idle.
    I found a workaround, which disables DPMS, that i use while watching movies. I then run:
    Code:
    xset -dpms;xset s off
    If it worked can be checked via
    Code:
    xset -q | grep DPMS
    This is probably not the best way to deal with this, maybe some one has an idea.

5) Until yesterday going into suspend did not lock your screen (which i prefer) but this is fixed after an update.

Those are just some observations with the latest ubuntu release, maybe we can bring this thread back to life

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I'm reading your posts correctly but are you having good battery life on Kernel 3.6, I was considering upgrading? It sounds like people are using 12.10 already, how is it and how does it work with the Zenbook? I am also hearing rumors that 12.10 breaks multiple monitors anyone have experience with this?
    Last edited by cromat; October 3rd, 2012 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by damyan5 View Post
    I got some (bad) news on the poweroff-on-unplug-problem.

Though, same behavior with ubuntu 12.10 beta -- poweroff when battery reaches 15% or when unplugging cord on heavy CPU load (watching Youtube video in fullscreen is enough).
    Damyan
    me too, horrible, it just shuts down whenever the load is high, not even need to be in low battery. 11.10 was rock stable, and now in 12.10 I have 2-3 shutdowns a day. not nice. I'm on bios 213, I'll try now to disable VTd and add
    Code:
    pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1
    and maybe ALPM.
    So what are people doing nowadays with their UX31e?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mbernasocchi View Post
    me too, horrible, it just shuts down whenever the load is high, not even need to be in low battery. 11.10 was rock stable, and now in 12.10 I have 2-3 shutdowns a day. not nice. I'm on bios 213, I'll try now to disable VTd and add
    Code:
    pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1
    and maybe ALPM.
    So what are people doing nowadays with their UX31e?
    I'm still on bios 210, with the same params and VTd enabled, and I have no issues with shutdowns under 12.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cromat View Post
    I think I'm reading your posts correctly but are you having good battery life on Kernel 3.6, I was considering upgrading? It sounds like people are using 12.10 already, how is it and how does it work with the Zenbook? I am also hearing rumors that 12.10 breaks multiple monitors anyone have experience with this?
    I did not see any change in battery life after switching to 3.6 yet. But I only use it for one day now, so I can't really tell for sure. With regular usage I get about 4 hours, which is not great...

Oh and btw: Does any one know how I can disable the left click in the lower right corner of my touchpad? It really annoys me, now that it's working

Beans

This thread might be useful for your touchpad problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966016

Page 176 of 195 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast