Page 169 of 195 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

  1. #1681
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    30
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Hi guys !

    In an attempt to get ome reliable wifi, I upgraded my ux31 to the last quantal kernel (as advised by the wiki).

    I think this recommandation should be removed or at least modified since this kernel broke the sound and slow quite a lot the boot process. Also, now the wifi doesn't experience any disconnection but also it's sower than before.

  2. #1682
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Beans
    225
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by JCM_Pico View Post
    Keyboard functions are not working has they were supposed to according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook#Keyboard

    1 - How can I check if my fn key is working
    2 - Is there any report of any asus UX31 were the functions keys, e.g. fn+f4, dosent work?
    3 - Is there any way to fix it?

    ps. using kubuntu
    Did you try defining custom keyboard shortcuts?

    Asus Zenbook Community Documentation: Keyboard

  3. #1683
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    169
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by JCM_Pico View Post
    Keyboard functions are not working has they were supposed to according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook#Keyboard

    1 - How can I check if my fn key is working
    2 - Is there any report of any asus UX31 were the functions keys, e.g. fn+f4, dosent work?
    3 - Is there any way to fix it?

    ps. using kubuntu
    I don't have a special key for F4. What's this supposed to do for you?

    A good hint for you is to look a the tool xev. Run it in a terminal. It will show all sorts of input information. When running press FN+C and just C (for example) and compare the difference:

    For reference, for FN+C I see:
    Code:
    KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
        root 0xa8, subw 0x0, time 155024, (55,117), root:(703,138),
        state 0x0, keycode 156 (keysym 0x1008ff41, XF86Launch1), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
        XFilterEvent returns: False
    and for just C I see:
    Code:
    KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
        root 0xa8, subw 0x0, time 348960, (-340,56), root:(308,77),
        state 0x0, keycode 31 (keysym 0x63, c), same_screen YES,
        XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (63) "c"
        XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (63) "c"
        XFilterEvent returns: False
    See that it says XF86Launch1?

  4. #1684
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    169
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by xheyther View Post
    Hi guys !

    In an attempt to get ome reliable wifi, I upgraded my ux31 to the last quantal kernel (as advised by the wiki).

    I think this recommandation should be removed or at least modified since this kernel broke the sound and slow quite a lot the boot process. Also, now the wifi doesn't experience any disconnection but also it's sower than before.
    I just installed the 3.5.0-5-generic kernel (using the suggested PPA from the Wiki as you pointed out). My sound still works. Boot up was speedy too.

    Nothing to report yet on the WiFi. I typically have lots of trouble though.

    Edit I just walked around my building and watched it hop from one access point to another all without dropping my connection. I never once saw the infamous reason=3 message either. Definitely encouraging.
    Last edited by SorryGoFish; July 24th, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

  5. #1685
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    30
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    I just installed the 3.5.0-5-generic kernel (using the suggested PPA from the Wiki as you pointed out). My sound still works. Boot up was speedy too.

    Nothing to report yet on the WiFi. I typically have lots of trouble though.

    Edit I just walked around my building and watched it hop from one access point to another all without dropping my connection. I never once saw the infamous reason=3 message either. Definitely encouraging.
    Thank you for testing !

    It seems I have a problem.
    Can you tell me what package you installed ? And what "uname -r" tell you ?

  6. #1686
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    169
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by xheyther View Post
    Thank you for testing !

    It seems I have a problem.
    Can you tell me what package you installed ? And what "uname -r" tell you ?
    I installed linux-image-generic-lts-quantal.

    uname -r now outputs: 3.5.0-5-generic.

    I'm not completely sold on this yet, by the way. I just resumed from suspend and the screen was black.

  7. #1687
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    30
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    I have installed the very same package...

    I can't get my finger on what exactly is broken. With linux 3.5 I have no sound indicator, no sound at all : every thing is played through a "factive sound device" (dunnno the exact english translation) and changing in the sound option pannel to the internal speakers don't work.

    Also the computer hang for a few seconds at boot when it show the login screen, the default wallpaper is displayed. I have to switch to a vt (ctrl + alt + F1) and back (ctrl + alt + F7) to have the thing display my user defined wallpaper and allow to type in my password.

    No obvious error message in dmesg...

    Any hint ?

  8. #1688
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    169
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by xheyther View Post
    I have installed the very same package...

    I can't get my finger on what exactly is broken. With linux 3.5 I have no sound indicator, no sound at all : every thing is played through a "factive sound device" (dunnno the exact english translation) and changing in the sound option pannel to the internal speakers don't work.

    Also the computer hang for a few seconds at boot when it show the login screen, the default wallpaper is displayed. I have to switch to a vt (ctrl + alt + F1) and back (ctrl + alt + F7) to have the thing display my user defined wallpaper and allow to type in my password.

    No obvious error message in dmesg...

    Any hint ?
    Are you sure it's the kernel? Does it all work smoothly with the previous kernel?

    I'm on a UX21, but I doubt that could account for such a different experience.

  9. #1689
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    30
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Everything work as expected with the precise kernel. I don't know where to start digging. Nothing show up in dmesg. Tonight I will take a screenshot of the sound configuration diaglog.

  10. #1690
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    169
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by xheyther View Post
    Everything work as expected with the precise kernel. I don't know where to start digging. Nothing show up in dmesg. Tonight I will take a screenshot of the sound configuration diaglog.
    I don't really know what I'm talking about, but maybe you have some kernel module that's not compatible with the 3.5 kernel. This may account for a slower boot.

    I'm rolling back. I just had a bunch of scary failed boots, and the Quantic kernel has never successfully resumed from suspend. When work calms down a bit, I may try again, but I need my laptop to work reliably for the next few weeks.

Page 169 of 195 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •