Page 151 of 195 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

12.04 worse power performance

Hi all, I had 11.10 with kernel 3.3.3 from mainline and used to have 6-7w on idle. Now I made a fresh install with 12.04 (both with standard kernel and 3.3.3) and i've a idle usage of 17w.
    I boot with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1"
    has anybody the same? an idea?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by mbernasocchi View Post
    Hi all, I had 11.10 with kernel 3.3.3 from mainline and used to have 6-7w on idle. Now I made a fresh install with 12.04 (both with standard kernel and 3.3.3) and i've a idle usage of 17w.
    I boot with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1"
    has anybody the same? an idea?
    thanks
    That's really high. Does powertop give some clue about what's using all that power? I posted my kernel options on the previous page. Do you get the same result without the semaphores flag?

Quote Originally Posted by mrv View Post
    Btw, I'm currently in a multi-AP place and the WLAN is working for me. But indeed 5GHz network is invisible. All in all there are probably indeed some quirks in the WLAN - both the hardware and the drivers. Hopefully the ath9k driver continues to improve to the extent software side can be improved.
    I've been hesitant to post about this because I'm superstitious, but my laptop has had a stable connection to my work's multi-ap network for days. This is the first time ever I've had a connection here longer than 5 minutes.

--

New topics (moving down the priority list)

How long does your battery last when it's suspended? Mine drains much faster than advertised, I'd say it looses an hour of battery for every 8 hours it's asleep.

Also, has anybody tried to remove the printed "Audio by Bang and whatever"? I'd like to remove this myself.
    Last edited by SorryGoFish; May 4th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    That's really high. Does powertop give some clue about what's using all that power?
    What do I look at? best overview:
    Code:
    The battery reports a discharge rate of 21.1 W

Summary: 477.2 wakeups/second,  0.0 GPU ops/second and 0.0 VFS ops/sec

Usage       Events/s    Category       Description
                  0.9 ms/s     123.9        Timer          hrtimer_wakeup
                  1.5 ms/s      61.6        Interrupt      PS/2 Touchpad / Keyboard / Mouse
                470.6 µs/s      54.0        Timer          tick_sched_timer
                544.9 µs/s      33.6        Interrupt      [52] i915
                634.6 µs/s      27.7        Interrupt      [23] ehci_hcd:usb1
                  2.5 ms/s      23.0        Process        /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch -background none
                 20.1 ms/s      21.4        Process        /usr/lib/empathy/empathy-chat
                  1.7 ms/s      20.8        Process        /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser
                 77.3 µs/s      19.0        Timer          vblank_disable_fn
    Idle Stats:
    Code:
              Package   |             Core    |             CPU 0               CPU 2
    POLL        0.0%    | POLL        0.0%    | POLL        0.0%    0.0 ms      0.0%    0.0 ms
    C1-SNB      2.1%    | C1-SNB      2.5%    | C1-SNB      4.7%    0.6 ms      0.3%    0.6 ms
    C3-SNB      1.2%    | C3-SNB      1.8%    | C3-SNB      3.4%    0.8 ms      0.2%    0.6 ms
    C6-SNB      0.2%    | C6-SNB      0.2%    | C6-SNB      0.4%    1.3 ms      0.0%    0.4 ms
    C7-SNB     91.4%    | C7-SNB     90.9%    | C7-SNB     84.7%    1.6 ms     97.0%    6.9 ms

|             Core    |             CPU 1               CPU 3
                        | POLL        0.0%    | POLL        0.0%    0.0 ms      0.0%    0.0 ms
                        | C1-SNB      1.7%    | C1-SNB      2.8%    0.6 ms      0.5%    0.4 ms
                        | C3-SNB      0.7%    | C3-SNB      1.1%    0.9 ms      0.2%    0.7 ms
                        | C6-SNB      0.2%    | C6-SNB      0.4%    2.9 ms      0.0%    1.0 ms
                        | C7-SNB     92.0%    | C7-SNB     89.9%    3.6 ms     94.0%    5.8 ms
    Device stats
    Code:
    The battery reports a discharge rate of 21.1 W

Usage     Device name
                100.0%        Radio device: asus-nb-wmi
                  9.7%        CPU use
                100.0%        Radio device: btusb
                100.0%        Display backlight
                100.0%        Display backlight
                 19.0 pkts/s  Network interface: wlan0 (ath9k)
                  0.0%        USB device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller (Atheros Communications)
                  0.0%        Audio codec alsa:hwC0D3: laptop-dmic (Intel)
                  0.0%        Audio codec alsa:hwC0D0: laptop-dmic (Realtek)
                100.0%        PCI Device: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller
    Tunables
    Code:
    >> Bad           VM writeback timeout                                                                                   
       Bad           NMI watchdog should be turned off
       Bad           Autosuspend for USB device USB2.0-CRW (Generic)
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Fresco Logic Device 1009
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
       Bad           Runtime PM for PCI Device Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
       Bad           Using 'ondemand' cpufreq governor
       Good          Wireless Power Saving for interface wlan0
    I posted my kernel options on the previous page. Do you get the same result without the semaphores flag?
    trying now but IIRC was the same before adding the flags. I did all the wiki says.

Beans

I've been hesitant to post about this because I'm superstitious, but my laptop has had a stable connection to my work's multi-ap network for days. This is the first time ever I've had a connection here longer than 5 minutes.
    I actually have had no disconnects in a couple of days either. *knock on wood*

Sometimes the connection slows down considerably, though. It's pretty erratic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeusExMachinae View Post
    I actually have had no disconnects in a couple of days either. *knock on wood*

Sometimes the connection slows down considerably, though. It's pretty erratic.
    I had the same problem. After i changed some setting on my AP the connection-problems are gone.

I setup my AP with a different channel and set the channel width to 40MHz (before 20Mhz)

This settings speed up the connection up to 7MB/sec when you are in the same room.

My problem is that the reach of the zenbook is much worse than my dell xps14z. At the same place i have about 1,5MB/sec compared with 500KB/sec with the zenbook.

Beans

Considering either the UX31 or UX 21. Thoughts?

If I understand correctly the UX31 has the I5-2557M where the 21 has the I5-2467M. The 2557 processor seems to be a little stronger and a little more stable. This makes me lean 31.

Now, I run 10.10. I really like the interface and I am not really excited about moving to Unity. However, I noticed a few posts about 12.04 running GNOME3 with the classic interface which looks almost exactly like the 10.10 GUI. First off, is this correct? If so, does the UX31/21 run this smoothly?

Next, what kernel works the best? I have saw a few posts outlining different kernels, however it seems confusing which one to use. 3.2.14? or 3.3rc5? Bluetooth is not a deal-breaker for me. Touchpad, WIFI, and battery life are much more important.

BTW, what kind of battery life is everyone getting? I've seen 5-6 hrs. Is this the norm?

Next, I have read over the Wiki a little, however is there anything (besides the hibernate/resume script) I should be familiarizing myself with?

Note, I am not a noob, however I am not an expert with Linux coding either. I code python, R, and TCL/TK mainly so it is slightly foreign to me. However, I am very willing to learn and very willing to do the work to make the machine the best it can be. I rather enjoy learning to fix issues, however I often need guidance.

Thanks!!!

Beans

Hi there friends,

I have recently upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10 on the ux31 and when running the 3.2.0-24-generic-pae kernel wlan isn't working, in the sense that network-manager cannot establish connection with my access point. However when running the older 3.0.0-19-generic-pae kernel wlan works fine. I'm running the gnome shell by the way.

Anyone noticed anything similar?

Beans

Hello
    I got myself UX31 a few weeks ago, now running 12.04 and it works great. To get Wifi stop dropping out I could disable powersaving but another way was to add the BSSID to network configuration AND disable IPv6. No more dropouts since then BUT the range is not satisfying.

New topics (moving down the priority list)

How long does your battery last when it's suspended? Mine drains much faster than advertised, I'd say it looses an hour of battery for every 8 hours it's asleep.
    Yes, the battery drains fast in suspend! I have not measured but it drains much faster than my (7 years) old laptop.

Beans

I have recently updated to BIOS version 212 and apparently, the shutdowns caused by unplugging the charger have ceased. I have checked about 8 times now, and no shutdown resulted.

Additionally, the power button is less sensitve now, requiring to be pressed for about two seconds. Although I have it configured for interactive shutdown, I find this change very positive due to the fact it lies beside the Supr key.

Just my 0.02 currency units.

Beans

Stupid question - but I've noticed my Zenbook can't seem to see my Wireless N network... is that normal?

It can see my G one just fine, just not the N one.

I thought it supported wireless N?

Page 151 of 195 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast