Page 141 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

  1. #1401
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    " RC6 was enabled earlier in the Ubuntu 12.04 Precise LTS development cycle but unfortunately had to be disabled as RC6 still buggy on some hardware (for example, causing lockups). However, it can be enabled as a kernel parameter and can reduce power consumption by ~20-30%."
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Power...erSavingTweaks

    Anyone know if this is still true, my laptop went almost silent when I enabled the tweaks, I am running a custom kernel which is also probably why i need to specify this.

  2. #1402
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    10

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by cromat View Post
    I didn't notice this issue in 3.3rc7 which is what I was previously running, I guess I could downgrade or wait for the patch or 3.3.2 thanks.
    It is a regression that was hacked in at 3.3.1, and not yet solved in the stable branch. This is the kernellist thread: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/4/6/282

    It is also a first that my preferred kernel version is not the latest stable version, or the latest rc.

  3. #1403
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by Thijs22 View Post
    It is a regression that was hacked in at 3.3.1, and not yet solved in the stable branch. This is the kernellist thread: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/4/6/282

    It is also a first that my preferred kernel version is not the latest stable version, or the latest rc.
    Thanks for the info yea, I usually run latest, I have a previous 3.3rc7 deb packages lying around I'll just install that.

  4. #1404
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by essen View Post
    Hello, I've been lurking on this thread for a while and the last fixes solved my unexpected shutdown issues with rc6. However there is still one issue that remains which may or may not be related but started happening at around the same time, which is an unexpected shutdown happening when unplugging the power cord.

    It doesn't seem to happen all the time, especially when unplugging from the other end of the cord. It doesn't happen while in Grub, or the BIOS, but it does happen after Linux boots, even before I log in. I suspect the issue to be related to laptop-mode or other settings that get enabled when Linux is starting up, but can't seem to find the right one.

    Amongst the people here who experienced this issue, did anyone find any hint of what could cause this?

    Thanks for the answers.
    Same here, also confirmed with Windows 7, so I don't think it's a Ubuntu related issue.

    The unexpected shutdown happening when plugging or unplugging the power cord both in Windows 7 or in Ubuntu 11.10 (after they boot). It doesn't happen in GRUB or in the BIOS screen.

    What I have already did:
    Updated the BIOS to 211 version.
    Perform a fresh installation of Windows 7 without any ASUS Power Management utilities.

    Anyone can help? Thanks!

  5. #1405
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by 19SkOrPiOn86 View Post
    Same here, also confirmed with Windows 7, so I don't think it's a Ubuntu related issue.

    The unexpected shutdown happening when plugging or unplugging the power cord both in Windows 7 or in Ubuntu 11.10 (after they boot). It doesn't happen in GRUB or in the BIOS screen.

    What I have already did:
    Updated the BIOS to 211 version.
    Perform a fresh installation of Windows 7 without any ASUS Power Management utilities.

    Anyone can help? Thanks!
    Did you see this behavior on bios 210, I can't reproduce...I will try some more and let you know if I can but just checking to see if its 211 related.

  6. #1406
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by cromat View Post
    Did you see this behavior on bios 210, I can't reproduce...I will try some more and let you know if I can but just checking to see if its 211 related.
    Yes, same on bios 210, that's why I updated to 211 last week.

  7. #1407
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by 19SkOrPiOn86 View Post
    Yes, same on bios 210, that's why I updated to 211 last week.
    Ok I will keep trying.

  8. #1408
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    So I'm not alone on this!

    It fixed itself for two weeks, but then I just tried and it happened again. During these two weeks I was mostly off power, so maybe it is an issue related to being on power for long period of times? (Probably not.)

    I have tried disabling things since my last post to see what does it but can't seem to find anything. After Linux boots it may happen randomly on plugging or unplugging.

  9. #1409
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    1

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Hi all,

    I'm new here to the forum, but a reasonably experienced linux user. I've had really bad wireless signal strength with the ux31 in linux (using 12.04 latest) and have seen others with the same problem.

    Did anyone resolve this issue? It cuts out frequently, and struggles to reconnect. It works fine in Windows, so it isn't a hardware problem.

    Cheers

  10. #1410
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

    Quote Originally Posted by phildrip View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm new here to the forum, but a reasonably experienced linux user. I've had really bad wireless signal strength with the ux31 in linux (using 12.04 latest) and have seen others with the same problem.

    Did anyone resolve this issue? It cuts out frequently, and struggles to reconnect. It works fine in Windows, so it isn't a hardware problem.

    Cheers
    The ath9k driver sucks still, but in general I have had a good experience. On kernel 3.3rc7 I had really good speeds. I am downgrading to that tonight and I can let you know my experience.

    Note there is also some suggestions for people having issues on the WIKI. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook

Page 141 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •