Page 132 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Both ALPM and ASPM seem to save power 1W each, according to my powerstat measurements. Therefore added the power saving optimizations graphic back to "warning"on the wiki page, since that's already several tens of percentage difference on idle power.

I get about 4.5W idle now. I run two enable-aspm scripts in /etc/rc.local.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mrv View Post
    FYI, I updated the wiki page with ALPM information (saves 1W), and referring here for the ASPM information. I also made separation between Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 11.10, plus made the 12.04 now "default". I marked power management to be only with remarks anymore since RC6 is now enabled by default.

I also added a couple of optional kernel parameters I'm using, and took a little head start by marking Bluetooth as fixed as it'll be now included in the next 12.04 kernel update!

With WLAN connected, display on with minimum brightness, Bluetooth on and Unity running I have now ca. 5.0W idle power consumption on my UX31. ALPM was probably the biggest win (from 5.9W -> 5.0W), although some of the others may have helped as well.

(note that I'm also running Unity from PPA - 5.8 which is to-be-released-very-soon-now should have a fix that reduced compiz wakeups from 50-60 to ~10)
    Thank you for this. The link provided for ALPM is invalid. Would you please check this? Thanks again.

Edit Found the page, updated the link.
    Last edited by SorryGoFish; March 22nd, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Beans

The wiki states that bluetooth will be fixed in the 'next kernel release'. is the current version supposed to be the 33-rc7 ? and is the next version 3.3-final or is final the same as rc7 ?

Can anybody clarify this bluetooth fix thing ?

Thx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by u19809 View Post
    The wiki states that bluetooth will be fixed in the 'next kernel release'. is the current version supposed to be the 33-rc7 ? and is the next version 3.3-final or is final the same as rc7 ?

Can anybody clarify this bluetooth fix thing ?

Thx
    3.3 was released last week I think. And I believe Bluetooth was fixed after the release. So it will be fixed in the NEXT kernel.

Beans

I tested 3.3 with kubuntu 12.04, bluetooth didnt find anything and my phone didnt find zenbook.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pumo View Post
    I tested 3.3 with kubuntu 12.04, bluetooth didnt find anything and my phone didnt find zenbook.
    Right. Bluetooth doesn't work by default. You have to use a customized kernel or build one yourself.

I think this information might have been removed from the wiki prematurely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My UX31 seems to be dead...

When I press the power button the leds used to light on for a few second before going off but after some tries it eventually boot up. But now whatever I push it won't start.

I'm going to return it but I hope they won't void my guaranty cause I installed Linux on it (French techs in the shop where I bought my unit can be dumd as doors)...

I read a lot of story like mine and I starting to regret to have chosen the UX31 instead of another machine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by MilkeySUFC View Post
    I have the same outputs as you but my noob-ishness means I don't know where to put the scripts.
    Just to clean it up a bit, I replaced the variable settings in the enable_aspm script with this:
    Code:
    [[ "2" == "$#" ]] || {
      echo $0 takes 2 arguments
      exit 1
    }

ROOT_COMPLEX=$1
    ENDPOINT=$2
    Made it executable and moved it into /usr/local/sbin. Then changed /etc/rc.local to
    Code:
    /usr/local/sbin/enable_aspm "00:1c.1" "02:00.0"
    /usr/local/sbin/enable_aspm "00:1c.3" "03:00.0"

exit 0
    (I probably don't need to add that my values may not be yours and you must do the lspci checks in aspetti's comment to get the correct ones for your machine. Do I?)

Anyway, works great, along with all the other tweaks I've learned about here, I'm getting about 4.2W idle and barely 5W at the moment, with 8 firefox tabs open but not much else going on. Unity 2D makes a difference as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by u19809 View Post
    The wiki states that bluetooth will be fixed in the 'next kernel release'.
    It will be fixed in the next Ubuntu 12.04 kernel update, although it may be now that since 12.04 is in beta freeze it will happen only Thursday/Friday this week.

It will also be fixed in upstream kernel 3.4-rc1, and hopefully also upstream stable 3.2/3.3 releases (I tried to sent the patch to stable commits but there is only the older Asus Bluetooth fix that went in).

Quote Originally Posted by matt2053 View Post
    Right. Bluetooth doesn't work by default. You have to use a customized kernel or build one yourself.

I think this information might have been removed from the wiki prematurely
    The information to build own kernel is still there, just further down.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrv View Post
    The information to build own kernel is still there, just further down.
    May I suggest to write instructions on how to compile just the bluetooth module and install it as a module update?

I have done this on Fedora for bluetooth and the card reader. It's a big difference from compiling the full kernel, both in time and resources (as I myself have seen while compiling the -rc kernels). As Fedora uses rpm, instead of deb, packages, I suspect there are some differences to bear in mind.

Other than that, I would like to thank all the people in this friendly and informative thread!

Page 132 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast