Page 129 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: "machine check error" on bootable USB devices after BIOS update

Quote Originally Posted by quesst View Post
    Hi

Found a new issue: Updating BIOS from 210 to 211 causes (my) zenbook not to be able to read Linux created USB boot devices. When choosing USB-Stick/external HD my machine shows: "Machine Check Error" and immediately reboots. If I use the exact same device and create a bootable USB device (installation "Disc" for Win7) on my girlfriends windows computer, zenbook boots from it perfectly...

Anyone experiencing the same Problem? Solutions?

cheers quesst
    I had this problem even on BIOS 209.

I dual-boot Windows 7 on my Zenbook, and what was interesting was that I almost always got the Machine Check Error on first attempt to boot the USB, but then if I booted into Windows, inserted the USB, waited for drivers to install, then booted to USB again, it worked.

I'm not smart enough to know what that really means though.

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Also I can confirm that VirtualBox causes some errors on kernel 3.3 rc7.

Beans

I am a unsatisfied windows user migrating to Ubuntu. I am loving it.
    But i am a .net developer, so I need windows for few applications like visual studio and iTunes.
    So, I am thinking of installing virtualbox or VMware on Ubuntu and install windows on it and access those applications.
    Can somebody suggest me the best laptop for ubuntu as main operating system where the devices like USB and webcam and Bluetooth shud not have *problems and shud be able to share with windows. Price is not a problem but I need the best laptop where Ubuntu is primary os and windows is the virtual os. I am not looking for dell though.

Thank u...

Beans

Yesterday I updated to Precise and Kernel 3.3. Wanted to test the new Synaptics module for Xorg. I was developing some code to detect gestures with 2 and 3 fingers on the touchpad. And it started working Began switching windows with two fingers.

Sadly I got some panics and partition went readonly. After some investigation messages told something about ext4 journaling. Found there is a bug going on with the data=ordered option for ext4.

After one of those panics my computer doesn't boot. When I power on the led turns on, I hear the fan and the caps lock key light shows for a second. Nothing more happens, the screen doesn't show anything and nothing works in the keyboard. I don't know if I got memory controller corruption or what. I'm thinking about leaving the computer on to waste the battery to check if that cleans the memory controller. Not sure about that.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by brainsqueezer; March 15th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brainsqueezer View Post
    Yesterday I updated to Precise and Kernel 3.3. Wanted to test the new Synaptics module for Xorg. I was developing some code to detect gestures with 2 and 3 fingers on the touchpad. And it started working Began switching windows with two fingers.

Sadly I got some panics and partition went readonly. After some investigation messages told something about ext4 journaling. Found there is a bug going on with the data=ordered option for ext4.

Adter one of those panics my computer doesn't boot. When I power on the led turns on, I hear the fan and the caps lock key light shows for a second. Nothing more happens, the screen doesn't show anything and nothing works in the keyboard. I don't know if I got memory controller corruption or what. I'm thinking about leaving the computer on to waste the battery to check if that cleans the memory controller. Not sure about that.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like the same issue I have had http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...dead-help.html

They had to completely replace the motherboard.

Beans

Anyone using eduroam in their schools?
    It disconnects all the time in several of the rooms. It's not fun.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kriskishi View Post
    I am a unsatisfied windows user migrating to Ubuntu. I am loving it.
    But i am a .net developer, so I need windows for few applications like visual studio and iTunes.
    So, I am thinking of installing virtualbox or VMware on Ubuntu and install windows on it and access those applications.
    Can somebody suggest me the best laptop for ubuntu as main operating system where the devices like USB and webcam and Bluetooth shud not have *problems and shud be able to share with windows. Price is not a problem but I need the best laptop where Ubuntu is primary os and windows is the virtual os. I am not looking for dell though.

Thank u...
    This thread is dedicated to solving Ubuntu issues with a particular machine (Asus UX31/UX21).. perhaps a more generic forum would be a better place to ask this question?

("shud" and "u"? ..really? ..I'm trying hard to remain civil...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sekhar.rahul View Post
    Are you on Ubuntu 12.04? If so, it has been disabled by default there. To re-enable it (I haven't yet tried this myself) you could try the solution given here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754...tion-in-upower
    How about hibernate to swap with an encrypted installation? (The /home encryption option from the normal install (which also encrypts /tmp and /swap.)
    Does that work?

In 11.10, hibernating screwed up my swap (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1933961), but does it work with 12.04? My guess would be that it doesn't. I've never bother to try, becasuse of all the time I've put into getting my current system working well. I'm not so hungry for another fresh install...

Does anyone know if this works?
    This is not an issue for me, since I never have use for hibernation. But it may be useful for other users with encryption.

Beans

Hey guys

I still have issues to make the elantec touchpad properly:
    - When I apply synclient commands, the touchpad randomly stops working.

System: Ubuntu 11.10, 3.3-RC6

Does anyone has an idea, where this comes from?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sekhar.rahul View Post
    Are you on Ubuntu 12.04? If so, it has been disabled by default there. To re-enable it (I haven't yet tried this myself) you could try the solution given here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754...tion-in-upower
    Thank you for this. I needed it also.

Page 129 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast