Page 125 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by u19809 View Post
    usb 3 might be different perhaps ... donno ?
    Are you asking why it doesn't work or asking if it will?
    Try it if the second option there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by u19809 View Post
    usb 3 might be different perhaps ... donno ?
    USB3 doesnt support booting on Sandy Bridge. At least on my desktop...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cowai View Post
    USB3 doesnt support booting on Sandy Bridge. At least on my desktop...
    this is not true. usb3 for booting works on both my desktop and ux31 as long as the os you boot supports it. I installed ubuntu 12.04 hours ago from a usb3 stick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Just curious but why doesn't a mod change Ubunutu to Ubuntu?
    Because one poster has claimed the misspelling make the thread easier to find.

In fact* we are all so used to it, we are petitioning Mark Shuttleworth to get Ubuntu renamed to Ubunutu.

(* not actually a fact)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by technot View Post
    this is not true. usb3 for booting works on both my desktop and ux31 as long as the os you boot supports it. I installed ubuntu 12.04 hours ago from a usb3 stick
    Was this done on a usb 3 port with usb3 speeds and not with legacy mode?

I bought a mini-itx motherboard along with a usb3 stick for my nas build. Turns out I cant boot with the stick in the usb3 port, only in usb2.

Beans

Combining this

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    I've been testing a lot of kernels and reinstalled my system for serveral times now, and I think I've found the best option for me.

Ubuntu 12.04 (with gnome-session-fallback), kernel 3.3rc6, boot option "i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force", the powersaving script, the clickpad script from douglas.

With the screen brightness set to 0-20% (which is okay for almost every enviroment, except for direct sunlight), and cpufreq-indicator (which allows me to set CPU clock on all kernels at once) @800MHz or ondemand, I'm seeing about up to 8.5 hours (!) of battery life, and a discharge rate of ~5.5W.

No sudden shutdowns, and the wifi works perfect. I've had one disconnection so far, but that might as well be my servers fault.

Bluetooth does not seem to work though. But, I'm not going to use it anyway.

So far, so good!
    with that

Quote Originally Posted by cromat View Post
    I need to read more carefully, it seems kernel's 3.3-rc6 and higher have the ath9k driver patch, and the rc6 enabled, so the only thing required now would be touchpad driver compile for those of us with Selentic touchpads.
    There is still a questions mark whether or not rc6 now is enabled by default and boot option can be ommited.

Besides that I need a quick hint because I'not yet a pro but a "advanced beginner": If ericus mentions "Ubuntu 12.04 (with gnome-session-fallback)" does that mean he/you got a beta release of 12.04 together with the 3.3-RC6 Kernel? What about installing 3.3-RC6 kernal with a ubuntu 11.10? Are there instabilities to be expected due to the "combination"?

And last but not least: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook is a really handy page I think, yet, it seems not all sections are up to date. Would be great if you guys (who know more than I do) could precisely document which problem is resolved in what kernel (including obsolete boot options if they are included in the kernel).

thanks

Beans

It seems as if the latest kernel fixed all my problems!

There is two more things that I want to change to have a perfect system. Does someone have a solution?

* I could get the Click-Drag to work with the ClickPad link that was posted some pages back. But somehow right click is not working. Can anyone help? I have an Elantech Pad.
    * Did someone find a way to improve wifi performance? It is working and all, but the performance is always a lot worse then with my Lenovo T400. Did someone try to update the ath9k driver to a newer version?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quesst View Post
    Besides that I need a quick hint because I'not yet a pro but a "advanced beginner": If ericus mentions "Ubuntu 12.04 (with gnome-session-fallback)" does that mean he/you got a beta release of 12.04 together with the 3.3-RC6 Kernel? What about installing 3.3-RC6 kernal with a ubuntu 11.10? Are there instabilities to be expected due to the "combination"?

thanks
    I run 3.3r6 on ubuntu 11.10 with the rc6 kernel boot parameters. Absolutely no issues thus far.

Beans

On my Arch install I can manually choose whether it should play audio on headphones or speaker. Meaning it can play audio both through the speakers and headphones at the same time, or just one, or neither.

Does this happen to you ubuntu guys as well? It's kind of worrying that I could be happy listening to music on my headphones while also blasting the music over my speakers without noticing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darukka View Post
    * Did someone find a way to improve wifi performance? It is working and all, but the performance is always a lot worse then with my Lenovo T400. Did someone try to update the ath9k driver to a newer version?
    I'd also be interested in that topic as my wifi also has very poor performance. I tried compiling the latest ath9k kernel module from linux-wireless.org, but despite it compiled fine I just got a kernelbug and system-freeze when I tried to insert it.

Page 125 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast