Page 113 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Hrrm, I'd say that's fairly accurate--messy at the mometn. Hopefully, it will soon be straightened out so that reasonable power management, Selentic touchpad and other issues will just work out of the box. Might take a little while though.

Yes, it is confusing at present. The summary page is good--this thread gets a bit out of hand, as it's such a long thread. I usually check once a day, go to the last post and work backwards.

(The summary page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AsusZenbook)

Beans

Hello everybody!
    Ive been using now wit kubuntu12.04 3.2.0-17-27 kernel without any specific grub line for two days, and now shutdowns or freezes has been.
    Ihave been watching videos (avi, mjpeg) and youtube (with flash) and gimping photos, surfing web, pidginin and listening music.

after full charged battery Ive been using for two hours (web surfing and gimping and still battery is remaining 68% and show running time 4h11min.
    This is great !
    powertop shows
    The battery reports a discharge rate of 6.64 W

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by PeterFeicht View Post
    So basically with the new 3.3-rc5 kernel, the very first patch which enabled i915_enable_rc6 values of 0-7 is obsolete now?
    We are back to either enable or disable, but it works, am I right?

And to save everyone a little guesswork: with the 3.3-rc5 kernel, the first patch mentioned in the linked post above is already applied, the second one (operator precedence) is not.
    The patch that allowed to choose the RC6 activation level was never intended to be ported on 3.2 nor 3.3. It leaves in drm-next and will certainly be merged for 3.4.

Still with 3.3-rc5, Eugeni Dodonov did send a patch that, when the kernel is booted with i915.rc6_enable_rc6=1, will only enable shallow rc6 so the sandy bridge owner won't suffer hard shutdown.

But this patch (which is included in 3.3-rc5) was messed up (an operator precedence issue was causing rc6p, the level that make snb machine to crash, to be allways activated). So you still need the last patch posted by Eugeni which will basicaly fix the fix.

I personally (I obviously am not Linux Torvalds) expect the final fix for 3.3 to be merged for the next RC.

All of that is if you roll your own kernel right from the source. The Ubuntu-kernel team has already picked all the necessary patch (and I believe that rc6 is also enabled by default) so if you use a kernel from them, you should have nothing to do to enjoy 6 hours long trip without charge with your Zenbook.

Hope it was clear this time.
    Last edited by xheyther; February 27th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Beans

Has anyone faced a shutdown when unplugging AC Power ?
    For me it's the most annoying issue. Sometimes when I unplugged the Ac Power the laptop shutdowns immediatly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moulip View Post
    Has anyone faced a shutdown when unplugging AC Power ?
    For me it's the most annoying issue. Sometimes when I unplugged the Ac Power the laptop shutdowns immediatly.
    Never.. though some in this thread have. I can't recall why this issue went away for those folks though.

What are you running? We'd probably would need to know the kernel version, if you've got any of the power scripts mentioned in this thread (a suspend related script and an "efficiency" powertop script), and if you are enabling rc6 in your boot parameters.

Beans

Hi everyone,

I'm following this thread since its beginning and it makes me learn very interesting things !

I can reproduce easily a shutdown (kernel 3.3rc4 + rc6 patch, same since 3.2) :
    - on AC or on battery, doesn't matter
    - high activity on wifi (like dl a distribution (...) with transmission at ~1.2Mb/s) -- it doesn't occurs on usb/ethernet
    - as soon as my screen fade out to black, either a freeze or a kernel panic occurs.

I thus suspect a problem with ath9k suspend or else...

Julien

(sorry for my english)

edit: Vt-d enable, rc6=1, all scripts (in sleep.d and power.d) prescribed in wiki
    Last edited by candelierj; February 27th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdezwart View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that this problem will solve itself once I get a slightly newer kernel things will change, but as I don't have an Internet connection on the laptop things will be hard.
    I once did this:
    Fixed the usb-ethernet (see wiki) while on the live CD. Installed Ubuntu. Updated the kernel.

Maybe you could try that...

Cheers,

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello everyone, I just skimmed through this gigantic thread, but I didn't see anyone having the same problem, so any help would be appreciated:

I installed Ubuntu 64 bit (dual boot with w7) and did everything the wiki told me to (upgrade kernel to 3.2.2 etc). Everything seems to work fine except for the elantech touchpad, it's still unresponsive and multitouch scrolling doesn't work. Tapping with 2 fingers does nothing, but 3 fingers brings up window resizing buttons. I added Aurélien Jacobs' script to /etc/rc.local, so is there anything else I'm missing? Possibly noob mistakes? (Also, is it normal that the touchpad doesn't respond to using just one's fingertip?)

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by candelierj View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm following this thread since its beginning and it makes me learn very interesting things !

- high activity on wifi (like dl a distribution (...) with transmission at ~1.2Mb/s) -- it doesn't occurs on usb/ethernet
    - as soon as my screen fade out to black, either a freeze or a kernel panic occurs.

Julien

(sorry for my english)

edit: Vt-d enable, rc6=1, all scripts (in sleep.d and power.d) prescribed in wiki
    I have you configuration in an UX31 with elantec touchpad. I experienced very few shutdowns, booth in AC or battery, and always when the use is relatively intense (graphics manipulation, for example). It seems not have relationship with the use of wifi. In any case, the wifi signal is relatively weak compared with other computers at the same distance of the router.

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by candelierj View Post
    Hi everyone,

Julien

(sorry for my english)

Kernel panic/freezes is not what we call shutdowns and has nothing to do with rc6.

The wifi driver is buggy. I get a lot I get the freezes too.

Page 113 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast