Page 105 of 195 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by cowai View Post
    This patch does not stop the shutdowns: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/015131.html
    I ran a kernel with this patch for several hours without shutdown (something that hasn't happened to me on an unpatched kernel).

Beans

i915.rc6 testing update:

Hi guys,
    during last two weeks I was testing extensively several kernels from the 3.3rc line and I came to these conclusions:
    1. The in-kernel ASIX USB ethernet driver sucks loud, it causes lockups even under slightest load. Interestingly enough, a Skype call in the background kept running even with after such crash.
    2. I began using Bluetooth. It seems, that it has no effect on stability whatsoever.
    3. And now the best one: I found out, how to produce the sudden shutdown "on demand" .

How I did it:
    The main thing is, that I am using XFCE4 (with compositing enabled) as my desktop environment. I wanted to give a try to Gnome3 and this is where I hit the wall. While I had no shutdown in all the time with patched DSDT (BIOS version 210 and 211) when I was using XFCE4, the moment I ran Gnome3 and tried to recompile some packages, my system just dropped dead. The usage scenario was as follows: Running Gnome Shell, compiling in the background and watching a movie in VLC. I got a shutdown in ten minutes. I was able to reproduce this behavior after reboot. Later I applied this patch http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/015131.html, but I got a shutdown as well, albeit this time it took like an hour and a half to poweroff.

The question is: can anybody running Gnome3 or Unity switch to XFCE4 and give it a try? Leave new DSDT in place, because without it I was getting shutdowns in XFCE and even in console.
    Last edited by benesm1; February 20th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Beans

This patch does not stop the shutdowns: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/015131.html
    I agree.

Beans

Weird: I get around 40% packet loss on wifi when pinging on a pretty vanilla 3.2.6 (all 3.2 kernels) and super stable wifi on 3.1 and 3.3.

Does ubuntu 3.2 kernel have some atheros patches that fixes this?

The reason I tested 3.2 is because of the rc6 patches are done on a 3.2.6 kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Weird: I get around 40% packet loss on wifi when pinging on a pretty vanilla 3.2.6 (all 3.2 kernels) and super stable wifi on 3.1 and 3.3.

Does ubuntu 3.2 kernel have some atheros patches that fixes this?

The reason I tested 3.2 is because of the rc6 patches are done on a 3.2.6 kernel.
    I've had this problem consistently. I have not tried a non-Ubuntu kernel. Maybe I should.

Do you have frequent re-connects in your dmesg?

Beans

So I went to a store today to test the keyboard, and I can't see what the problem with it is. Works fine for me.

I'm now close to order the UX31. Is the wiki that up to date? 12.04 is still beta, right?

I don't know how to properly install Ubuntu on this device, and this thread is huge. Can anybody make a summary?
    Notebook edition or regular installation, for instance?

And also, this part from the wiki scares me:
    If this workaround not used, your memory controller setting will be screwed. After an incorrect suspend, many memory blocks starting with ~1G will be corrupt. Good way to see it is to use "memtest86+". The only way to fix controller setting is to open the case and plug off the battery. Please note that on this ultrabook the battery is not a user serviceable part and this could mean that by opening you can get your warranty void! If you start Windows or Linux with a corrupted controller, you will get system crashes or/and damaged file system.
    EDIT: I just ordered the Asus Zenbook UX31E i5 128GB SSD.
    EDIT2: On http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ I can only find x86, no 64bit-version?

Sorry for a lot of questions at once, but please answer what you can.
    Last edited by ericus; February 20th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    I've had this problem consistently. I have not tried a non-Ubuntu kernel. Maybe I should.

Do you have frequent re-connects in your dmesg?
    I have restarted like 50 times today so it's a little hard to determine. I don't have reconnects as in networkmanager reconnecting with the icon animating it. So I don't think so. The ath9k driver is supposed to be one of the best drivers out there. So it's weird that they messed it up in 3.2.

Do you have packet loss? "ping -c 20 google.com"

Beans
    Distro

I have restarted like 50 times today so it's a little hard to determine. I don't have reconnects as in networkmanager reconnecting with the icon animating it. So I don't think so. The ath9k driver is supposed to be one of the best drivers out there. So it's weird that they messed it up in 3.2.

Do you have packet loss? "ping -c 20 google.com"
    I can't even get a solid connection here at work. At home I consistently get 20% to 40% packet loss pinging google. If I ping a local server I get much better rates. (I also noticed I get packet loss pinging google from my friends Macbook on my same network though.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    EDIT: I just ordered the Asus Zenbook UX31E i5 128GB SSD.
    EDIT2: On http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/ I can only find x86, no 64bit-version?
    You want the the amd64 version this covers both 64 bit architectures.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SorryGoFish View Post
    I can't even get a solid connection here at work. At home I consistently get 20% to 40% packet loss pinging google. If I ping a local server I get much better rates. (I also noticed I get packet loss pinging google from my friends Macbook on my same network though.)
    I have tried on several networks. None of them gives me packet loss on 3.3-rc4 but on 3.2.6 everyone of them does. ssh shell is terrible because the key strokes takes like 5 seconds to register.

Page 105 of 195 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast