Page 104 of 195 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    Please post your result afterwards
    Hi
    last night went well. no shutdowns or anyother lockups.
    I did use computer till midnight and batter was left about 25% (anyway over 20%).

so using about 4 hours surffing, downloading stuff and listening music on wifi. so no heavy usage, temperatures was maximum 47%, and one reboot.
    didnt test putting to external monitor or usblan. I did put lid down to suspend and went to sleep. this morning it did blick for suspend, so no shutdown.

edit: I did leave to grub line these:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash ipv6.disable=1"

is there need to add "i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force" anymore?
    Last edited by pumo; February 20th, 2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: edit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by pumo View Post
    is there need to add "i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force" anymore?
    Semaphores is disabled by default, I just checked the source of Ubuntu-3.2.0-17.26 and 3.3-rc4. If you want to activate it, you should disable VTd, see http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q4.html. But RC6 is a lot more important.
    The ASPM fix included in Ubuntu-3.2 and vanilla 3.3 series shouldn't require pcie_aspm=force anymore.

Regards
    Aaron

Beans

ok thanks,VTd have been disabled since I installed kubuntu.
    I havent quite understand where do I might need VTd=enabled?
    if I install virtualbox should be enabled ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by pumo View Post
    I havent quite understand where do I might need VTd=enabled?
    if I install virtualbox should be enabled ?
    No, VT-d is only required to pass through physical devices to a virtual machine.

Regards
    Aaron

Beans

Anyone else seeing sudden shutdowns with the latest RC6 patch applied? I used to run a kernel with the first patch and had no problems at all, but the latest patch doesn't seem to work for me. Neither with a hand patched Debian kernel, nor with the current Ubuntu kernel. After a couple hours the system powers off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by debianguy View Post
    Anyone else seeing sudden shutdowns with the latest RC6 patch applied? I used to run a kernel with the first patch and had no problems at all, but the latest patch doesn't seem to work for me. Neither with a hand patched Debian kernel, nor with the current Ubuntu kernel. After a couple hours the system powers off.
    I have. I patched 3.3-rc4 in archlinux and I have had shutdowns after that.

Also I have had freezes, but I think that is the wifi for some reason. No errors i kernel.log.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cowai View Post
    Also I have had freezes, but I think that is the wifi for some reason. No errors i kernel.log.
    I also had freezes with archlinux and 3.3.0-rc4 and the rc6 fix. I remember that someone say you have to disable the hardware crypto-engine (see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=344).

I plan to try that tonight.

Beans

One thing I'm finding--it's been mentioned in passing, but for me, it turns out to have a major effect---is that dimming the screen, with Fn+F5 will add hours to battery life. I haven't left the machine running to test, but, going by the acpi command in Ubuntu, Fedora, and Arch--and I can be in text mode, not X and still have the same result--dimming the screen can change ACPI reading from about 3.5 hours (when fully charged) to 5-7 hours.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thcourbon View Post
    I also had freezes with archlinux and 3.3.0-rc4 and the rc6 fix. I remember that someone say you have to disable the hardware crypto-engine (see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=344).

I plan to try that tonight.
    I already had that "fix" when it happened. So it can't be that.

The problem is that I can't find anything in the log files because the system freezes before any logging can take place

Beans

This patch does not stop the shutdowns: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/015131.html

And this: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/015005.html
    This patch hasn't give me shutdowns (only used it a couple of hours) but I've had one complete freeze (with nothing in the logfiles).

I don't know if the freeze has something to do with this.

All of this was done on only battery and arch with linux-mainline 3.3-rc4 from aur, patched.
    Last edited by cowai; February 20th, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the second link.

Page 104 of 195 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast