Page 103 of 195 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1950

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubunutu and the asus zenbook (UX31)

Battery life is about 5.5hrs right now. I think it's actually worse than 3.3rc3. With rc3 I was getting about 6hrs. I'm not using powertop to get these numbers, just gnome's built in battery applet.
    *edit* Okay with brightness down I'm getting a report of 7hrs. That's pretty good in my book. I'm going to edit my powertop script t turn my screen down little more.
    Last edited by shakabra; February 19th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by baustromverteiler View Post
    As far I understood the Elantech touchpad is the better choice as multi-touch features are supported from kernel 3.2.x on, for reference see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...ntech_Touchpad

I've asked earlier in the thread if theres any way to distinguish between the two touchpads other than starting up the zenbook, but unfortunately no answer so far.
    I think you're better off asking that question at notebookreview.com. I think the answer is "no" though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    OT: How do you like the keyboard? I've read that it's not that great, and to test it IRL at a store I'll have to drive 90 kilometers to the nearest store.
    If you have to really work a lot with the internal keyboard (not just browsing the internet... ), I'd recommend another laptop. Almost everything is good, but the keyboard is terrible. My opinion. I have the laptop for three months and that didn't change, unfortunately.

Regards
    Aaron

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aspettl View Post
    If you have to really work a lot with the internal keyboard (not just browsing the internet... ), I'd recommend another laptop. Almost everything is good, but the keyboard is terrible. My opinion. I have the laptop for three months and that didn't change, unfortunately.

Regards
    Aaron
    Thank you Aaron. I'll go to a store and try it for myself to see if it's good enough for me (since I'm a traveller and therefore there is a lot of writing to be done) before I decide to buy it or not.

Sorry about my bad english.
    Last edited by ericus; February 19th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Given that RC is enabled by default on Ubuntu Precise Kernel now, do we still need i915.semaphore=1 and i915.powersave=1 parameters ?

Also, the archlinux wiki state (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Ux31#PCIe_ASPM) that if the BIOS claims that your machine doesn't support pcie_aspm you shouldn't enable it.

Does it bring so battery improvement or instability to enable it for you ? I've run wirh pcie_aspm=force for some time and wasn't able to notice any change...

Beans

thanks for tip, I will test tonight in my ux31 (sandisk and elantech) with kubuntu 12.04
    so far it show remaining battery time 7hour9mins
    edit: well it jumps between 7-5h30min

Quote Originally Posted by aspettl View Post
    It looks as if the important things will just work in Ubuntu 12.04 :

According to the changelog (http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...7.26/changelog), the newest kernel (3.2.0-17.26, based on 3.2.6) enables RC6 by default and disables deep RC6 for Sandy Bridge.
    I booted the kernel without custom DSDT and without any (custom) kernel parameters. Temperatures / fan behaviour confirms that RC6 is enabled.

Bluetooth works, too. At least scanning for devices works. There's an open bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/916319
    Can someone confirm that bluetooth works with the current precise kernel?

For 3.2.0-16.25, there's also "x86, mce, therm_throt: Don't report power limit and package level thermal throttle events in mcelog". So those messages should be gone.

The ASPM fix is already included a while, almost since the beginning of the Ubuntu 3.2 kernel series.

Now the suspend script and the touchpad (especially Sentelic) seem to be the only remaining problems. Are the ath9k crashes gone?

I think a major rework of the Wiki page will be necessary soon

Regards
    Aaron
    Last edited by pumo; February 19th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pumo View Post
    thanks for tip, I will test tonight in my ux31 (sandisk and elantech) with kubuntu 12.04
    so far it show remaining battery time 7hour9mins
    edit: well it jumps between 7-5h30min
    Please post your result afterwards

Beans
    Distro

Check this out guys.
    http://t.co/H1QXg07J
    Aloha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    Check this out guys.
    http://t.co/H1QXg07J
    Aloha
    Fantastic news!

Beans
    Distro

'Tis. Seems like the only thing that won't work is my touchpad now.
    I kind of like my rolling my own kernels anyhow

Page 103 of 195 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast