Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 wired network problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 11.10 wired network problem

The strange thing with kernel 3.0 and r8169 is, that sometimes it works, but most of the time, it doesnt.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    The strange thing with kernel 3.0 and r8169 is, that sometimes it works, but most of the time, it doesnt.
    True, but in a sense, that is worse than it not working at all.

One way that gets it working is to disconnect the PC from power. Not just turn it off, but unplug it. Then, when you plug it back in and start up, r8169 usually works for a while. This assumes you are using a desktop machine.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@ratcheer; I can confirm your findings! When pulling out the power plug and wait some time the network card is working 'some' time at full speed... I can confirm this but can not explain it...

How is the above possible? Anyone?
    Last edited by ahendriks; December 13th, 2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

@ahendriks:

Please show:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ethtool
    sudo ethtool eth0
    You can try to deactivate the auto-negotiation with:

Code:
    sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 autoneg off

Beans

Lightbulb Re: 11.10 wired network problem

IMHO, the best workaround is to install the r8168 driver. It works and is reliable.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

deleted because not of any intrest for this thread...
    Last edited by ahendriks; March 27th, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: addition for locate of r8169

Beans
    Distro

You dont have a Realtek card, its a NVIDIA. These gigabit cards often need 2 additional module parameters:

Code:
    echo "options forcedeth msi=0 msix=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/forcedeth.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv forcedeth  #either these commands from here or reboot
    sudo modprobe -v forcedeth
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Beans

I have used ubuntu for a few years now, and have been quite happy with it, the last few iterations though have been not satisfactory.

I am not an expert in command line but i can get by. I have my house set up for wired connection and choose not to use wireless most of the time. This problem with the wired connection driver is very frustrating and i cant find any instruction that gives a solution. Do all the people that work at Ubuntu/Canononical not know how to correct this? If so can someone please post a plain step by step solution to getting my wired connection working again before i give up on Ubuntu and try something else (maybe even windows for christ sake).

Beans

@martin1969, it is not an Ubuntu problem, the problem is the r8169 driver in the Linux kernel. It affects many, if not all, distros. It has been on bug reports for several years. Why it is never fixed is beyond me.

Sometimes r8169 does work in the very latest kernels, but it will then have regressions. For example, on Arch Linux, r8169 worked in a few of the 3.1.x and 3.2.x kernels, but it does not work again in 3.2.7 and 8. Or maybe it is working and other bugs are fouling up the connection.

Tim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by martin1969 View Post
    can someone please post a plain step by step solution to getting my wired connection working again....
    Did you try what praseodym suggested on the first page of this thread (followed by added modifications later)?

A summary of all the required exercise (slightly modified and recently tested successfully here, although with older driver) is running the following commands while you are connected via wireless (if not, you can simply download the driver on another system directly from realtek's site or from here, copy it to your home directory in Ubuntu, then continue with the fourth command below (EDIT: you must become 'root' by entering sudo su command before continuing. Thanks to abriano for the heads up). In case of any problems, please post back the errors you get):
    Code:
    sudo su
    apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms
    wget http://r8168.googlecode.com/files/r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2
    tar -xvf r8168-8.028.00.tar.bz2
    cd r8168-8.028.00
    modprobe -rfv r8169
    echo "blacklist r8169" | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    make
    cp src/r8168.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/
    depmod -a
    modprobe -v r8168
    mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` `uname -r`
    echo "r8168" >> /etc/modules
    exit
    [Note: The "`" is a "grave accent" mark in `uname -r` entry in the third last line, not single quotes. It is located above "Tab" key in my US keyboard layout (with ~). Just copy-paste the code to avoid mistakes]

Also, the downloaded file contains its own way of installation (which I personally have tested once) which is just extracting the files, then running:
    Code:
    sudo ./autorun.sh
    Obviously it is a piece of cake in comparison to above bunch of commands, if works. But sometimes it doesn't work as expected, hence the above manual method.

However, any attempt to 'build' a driver assumes you already have the kernel-headers and build-essential installed. If not, any attempts to build the driver would fail unless you install them manually (build-essential and dkms are available on the live cd, and headers are installed by default on a fresh installation).
    Last edited by varunendra; March 23rd, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: to remove obsolete part and improve the post
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast