Thread: Help with HP G62-B40EM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Help with HP G62-B40EM

Hello!

I have recently bought HP G62-B40EM laptop, but I have some minor issues with Ubuntu 10.10 and I was hoping, you could help me solve them:

1) Keyboard has 5 additional buttons: Mail, Music Player, Web Browser, Print and Calculator. I can successfully assign all of them in Keyboard Shortcuts (located in System -> Preferences) except Music Player key. In Keyboard Shortcuts, I doesn't get detected. Later, I solved this issue, but I'm not sure how I did it. I was changing keyboard models (from Evdev to Microsoft keyboards and then back to Evdev) and I installed keyTouch and fiddled with configuration files. When this key started working, I uninstalled keyTouch. Since this key still works, could you explain me, how did I accomplish this?

2) I cannot assign Windows key to open my Applications menu. I have the same problem as with Music Player key, but I can't get it to work.

3) On the touchpad I have a button (not really a button, but a part of a touchpad with a light), which I can use to turn touchpad on/off. On Ubuntu this button doesn't work. I had Suse 11 preinstalled on this laptop when I bought it and the button worked. I read some articles explaining how can I toggle touchpad, but I have to use a keyboard shortcut to make it work. I really don't want to use a shortcut, since I have a button that is meant for this function. Can you help me get it to work?

4) This laptop has a Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe chipset. I have read on the forums that this chipset has some issues on Ubuntu 10.10. I currently can't test it, since I don't have a wireless network at home, but there are some passworded networks around my house. I can see them, but I can't connect to them, since they need a password. But if I execute command 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "linksys"', ESSID of wlan0 doesn't change, it stays empty. As far as I know, it should change. I also compiled official module from Ralink's website, but it's the same. Please help me, since I really need wireless connectivity when I'm not at home.

Thank you in advance,
    Klemen

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Help with HP G62-B40EM

pleeease pretty pleeeeeeeeeease somebody answer Klemen -- i have the exact same problem (though i cant even assign those side buttons) and i am desperate for an answer!
    thank you so so so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How did you compile the Ralink driver because I am having an issue with that.

Thank's in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tulipán View Post
    pleeease pretty pleeeeeeeeeease somebody answer Klemen -- i have the exact same problem (though i cant even assign those side buttons) and i am desperate for an answer!
    thank you so so so much!
    Hi
    You can assign side buttons with the help of keyboardshortcuts option.
    System + Preferences + Keyboard shortcuts.
    Except music button I assigned all buttons, because I didn't find the use of it.
    I also have problem with the Touchpad on/off button .

Beans

Hi, I've got a laptop HP G62-B27SA. I tested the latest openSUSE KDE 64 bit live CD today, and tapping the small light on the touchpad worked perfectly!!! Just like in *******7. So there must be some way to get to work in Ubuntu as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

thank you so much for you answer and i apologize for reacting so late!
    Quote Originally Posted by chandu870114 View Post
    Hi
    You can assign side buttons with the help of keyboardshortcuts option.
    in Systems, i dont have "preferences" -- what am i doing wrong?