View Poll Results: What is your Oneiric Ocelot install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

35 13.36%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

29 11.07%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

29 11.07%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

78 29.77%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

55 20.99%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

36 13.74%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Share with the community your Oneiric Ocelot install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Share with the community your Oneiric Ocelot install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by Robynsveil View Post
    Something I don't get. If development in Linux Desktop towards tablets was a direction Ubuntu wanted to go, why not create a special branch for that? instead of subjecting PC users to this "technology"?
    Just askin'...
    That is exactly what is happening, the current Unity interface is horrible on tablets, there will be a tablet version available soon.

It seems someone mistakenly decided that the Unity interface was designed for tablets, and the way blog posts are syndicated, this assumption was spread all over the web, and seems like everyone is saying this, when in reality it is only one or two bloggers that made the mistake, especially seeing as they at the time had never even tried Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks Cariboo - I was wondering it that whole tablet-interface idea was just someone's take on where things were going (i.e., with Unity) vs what the Ubuntu team were really trying to accomplish.
    Linux User #445955
    Let's use a little common sense. Of course, that's not all that common.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    That is exactly what is happening, the current Unity interface is horrible on tablets, there will be a tablet version available soon.

It seems someone mistakenly decided that the Unity interface was designed for tablets, and the way blog posts are syndicated, this assumption was spread all over the web, and seems like everyone is saying this, when in reality it is only one or two bloggers that made the mistake, especially seeing as they at the time had never even tried Unity.
    yes, and we should also note that the desktop is not going anywhere.

tablets are not going to "kill" laptops or the mouse

In fact most companies are not even selling that many. Is just another option and an alternative to netbooks (which didnt die either).

and seeing ubuntu for android, the desktop is the future on smartphones too.

unity has some elements that are touch friendly, but that doesnt mean is optimized for tablets. Is mainly a mouse OS.

if anyone wants to try linux on tablets they should use Kde's Plasma Active for now.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

nevermind, lol.
    Last edited by Max Blyss; March 3rd, 2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: misread question. felt dumm.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

After running Oneiric on my test machine for awhile, I'll be interested to see where Ubuntu is going with the next LTS. Although, if it's more Unity crap, I may be checking out Fedora or OpenSUSE instead. Unity just gets more useless the longer I try to work with it. If I wanted an OS that was confusing and limited my ability to control things, I'd go pirate the latest copy of Mac OSX.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Unity is here to stay, but you don't have to use it. Try one of the other members of the Ubuntu family.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213