Thread: MySQL -u root -p database < dumpfile.sql

Beans

MySQL -u root -p database < dumpfile.sql

I would really appreciate any form of help with a importing pickle that I can't seem to shake.

I recently converted a Microsoft Access database into .sql format using the Bullzip program for Windows OS. (After first trying to use 'mdb tools', and then a different conversion wizard which produced corrupted data). Now I'm trying to import the dump.sql file into MySQL from Ubuntu. Every time I try to use the code

shell> MySQL -u root -p database < dumpfile.sql

There shows an error 1064 (42000)in your SQL syntax blah blah blah near '-------------------------------------------------------
    CREATE DATABASE "database"' at line 1

To fix this, I open up the dump.sql file and comment out the CREATE DATABASE " " command. What happens then is same error 1064 (42000)in your SQL syntax blah blah blah near '-------------------------------------------------------
    CREATE TABLE at line 1
    appears!

So while the script all looks good in the .sql file, I just can't seem to get it into a MySQL database. At this point I am considering hand-coding every table of the database into MYSQL (this would take days)!

-For a second I thought that the bullzip program was the problem, but the file seems to check out----

Thank you kindly in advance.
    Last edited by panerabread; October 19th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: MySQL -u root -p database < dumpfile.sql

Is the .sql file in DOS format (with CR/LF line endings)? If so try converting to standard UNIX format (LF line endings).

Beans

Hey,
    Thank you for the response.
    Not knowing what line endings are, I will now spend the next two hours reading the wikipedia entry on newline, trying to figure out which one comprises the data, and then converting the file if necessary. Working from gedit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@panerabread:
    If you created the .sql file originally in window, it likely has DOS line-ending format (CR = Carriage Return).

Try as suggested by gmargo; convert it to Unix format. You can try this in a terminal:
    Code:
    awk '{ sub("\r$", ""); print }' win_textfile > unix_textfile
    Then try again to do what you were trying to do originally.

EDIT:
    I found a mistake in your command syntax: if the first SQL command in your dumpfile is "CREATE DATABASE (...)", then you should not put the name of the database before the "< dumpfile " clause. It then should read:
    Code:
    sh> mysql -u root -p < dump.sql
    Hope it works.
    Last edited by rene8; October 19th, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Found a mistake.