Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty mutli-tasking? Video choppy during file copy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Difficulty mutli-tasking? Video choppy during file copy.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    This still sounds like a throughput issue, not a video/compositing issue. Is your Xubuntu on a separate partition from your Windows installation, or did you install it inside Windows (using Wubi)?
    It's in it's own partition, no Wubi. I have 120 GB dedicated to Linux and Windows has 170 GB on a 300 GB drive.

Interesting thoughts on the NTFS compatibility. I will try an experiment with copying a video over to the Linux partition and playing it from there. I will also test reading from NTFS with a larger buffer. I will also get the newer version of VLC (already installed on the laptop - which also dual-boots). I may also try out the mplayer as suggested. I'll report back those findings in a day or two.

Thanks all!

Beans
    Hidden!

I also run HD video off an ntfs partition with no problems, so would it have to be a separate HDD to cause these problems?
    No longer participating......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    I also run HD video off an ntfs partition with no problems, so would it have to be a separate HDD to cause these problems?
    No, it's trying to run HD video off an NTFS partition while moving a large (3 GB, according to the OP) file from one NTFS partition to another NTFS partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    No, it's trying to run HD video off an NTFS partition while moving a large (3 GB, according to the OP) file from one NTFS partition to another NTFS partition.
    Technically, I was watching video off an NTFS partition on one drive while transferring a large file to that same drive from a Linux parition on a different drive. I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    I use mplayer with a reasonable buffer e.g.

Code:
    mplayer -cache 8192 video.mkv
    It is perhaps 'gilding the lily' but you may notice that by default initially MPlayer does not actually fully load this cache. You can manipulate the loading by adding:

Code:
    mplayer -cache 8192 -cache-min 80 video.mkv
    Just a very small point .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    it is perhaps 'gilding the lily' but you may notice that by default initially mplayer does not actually fully load this cache. You can manipulate the loading by adding:

Code:
    mplayer -cache 8192 -cache-min 80 video.mkv
    just a very small point .
    Very good Andrew =D>
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; October 21st, 2011 at 12:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I copied a video to the Linux system partition and tried the experiment. I started the video and then began the file transfer. Video became unplayable.

Oh and the new version of VLC is still buggy. It seemed to be working fine for several Star Trek episodes until tonight. Sound cut out at 7:12. But that's another subject....

I will try mplayer with some of the buffer suggestions made in this thread and see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12