Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop shuts off by itself, overheating?

Beans

Re: Laptop shuts off by itself, overheating?

Off subject, but I did figure out while hooked up through hdmi on my big screen, that I can watch movies normally without lag just by lowering screen resolution. Bad part is that the hdmi sound doesnt play and I have to use line in for sound...Good luck on your laptop, and I looked at your blog..nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by superbatlife View Post
    Off subject, but I did figure out while hooked up through hdmi on my big screen, that I can watch movies normally without lag just by lowering screen resolution. Bad part is that the hdmi sound doesnt play and I have to use line in for sound...Good luck on your laptop, and I looked at your blog..nice!
    i have really neglected my blog but thanks for taking a look at it though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

superbatlife - I have found that changing the audio output option switches my HDMI sound on. It switches off the laptop sound but, hey sound through the HDMI is better than not.
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello Danny - been having a look at our small Acer laptop using acpi & sensors - the Celeron 540 cruises along happily for hours at the temperatures you are seeing. Not entirely certain that it is a temperature problem, although it does look that way.

Anyone else have a view on the temperatures seen?
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    Hello Danny - been having a look at our small Acer laptop using acpi & sensors - the Celeron 540 cruises along happily for hours at the temperatures you are seeing. Not entirely certain that it is a temperature problem, although it does look that way.

Anyone else have a view on the temperatures seen?
    i was going to run a memtest on the RAM, but when I tried the laptop had already been on for a while so in the middle of the memtest, it shut off. I just attributed it to overheating again BUT i wonder if it's a bad ram issue if you're saying that the temps i posted aren't that high. Though i don't think i had facebook pioneer trail open when did that test with lmsensors.

Beans
    Distro

Its seems as though re-doing the thermal paste between the heat sink and the cpu has made a huge impact. I followed this guide for disassembly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGzqoVH8b7g

The vent for the fan to blow hot air out was completely caked with dust and dirt (on the inside) as well just as they showed in the youtube video. The fan hardly even spins up now, whereas before it would spin really loud probably to make up for the fact that it wasn't venting out the heat from the heat sink. I used Arctic Silver thermal paste.

I ran sensors again and it showed temps around the same as last time 58 to 62 degrees celsius BUT that was after playing Pioneer Trail for 1 hour and having other videos playing in Youtube. I am guessing that it's fixed now. Whereas when I ran it and posted my results before, that was immediately after turning it on without doing anything else. LOL

Hope others can get some help out of this thread. Thank to everyone for their help. I love Ubuntu and it's community!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just like I was saying, serious overheating problem. The amount of machines I have seen with blocked air ways. It is just like getting a cold, if you can't breath, you heat up. I have even seen one with a melted chocolate bar blocking the fan vents!!!
    I suspect your machine will be fine but, probably has suffered stress on the components due to the amount of time it sounds like you have had the problem.
    If I was you I would still seriously think about getting a laptop cooler. At a few bucks it is really worth it.
    They can be slippy under the laptop depending upon which one you get so you might have to get some sticky rubber feet for the bottom of the laptop as well to stop it sliding.

Have you tried the audio settings change as I suggested for your HDMI.
    It worked a treat for me and is probably all you need to do as well.
    Good luck again.
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dougalkerr View Post
    Just like I was saying, serious overheating problem. The amount of machines I have seen with blocked air ways. It is just like getting a cold, if you can't breath, you heat up. I have even seen one with a melted chocolate bar blocking the fan vents!!!
    I suspect your machine will be fine but, probably has suffered stress on the components due to the amount of time it sounds like you have had the problem.
    If I was you I would still seriously think about getting a laptop cooler. At a few bucks it is really worth it.
    They can be slippy under the laptop depending upon which one you get so you might have to get some sticky rubber feet for the bottom of the laptop as well to stop it sliding.

Have you tried the audio settings change as I suggested for your HDMI.
    It worked a treat for me and is probably all you need to do as well.
    Good luck again.
    I am not using HDMI out so you must be talking to the other person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Laptop shuts off by itself, overheating?

thanks for the info guys, cleaned the fans which had a lot of dust. Now the system is not restarting as well as the temp is 20 degree low..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Old thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12