Thread: Dell XPS 1340 keyboard lock when adjust backlit brightness

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Dell XPS 1340 keyboard lock when adjust backlit brightness

I'm running 12.04 on a Dell XPS 1340. When I toggle the brightness on the backlit keyboard using the Fn-right arrow keys my keyboard will lock but the trackpad and BlueTooth mouse continue to work,

I thought it may have been a DE issue but to date I've had this problem on gnome3 (both classic and new), XFCE, Unity, and KDE.

The only way I found to fix it is a reboot, restarting the shell or logging off/on will not bring the keyboard back.

Any help on solving this is welcomed.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Dell XPS 1340 keyboard lock when adjust backlit brightness

Any ideas from anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I wiped out my system and did a fresh install of 12.04 64-bit (I was previously running 32-bit) but no dice. Fn + the keyboard brightness key still locks my keyboard.

Beans

Hi,
    I had the same problem (Dell Studio 1735) and here is how I manage to make it work. First I press Fn + Right arrow and then my keyboard backlight is switched on but the keyboard is locked. So then I press the Fn + Esc or the Fn + F1 keys which both put my laptop on sleep mode, then I just switch on (awake) my laptop and the keyboard is unlocked with the backlight working.I have no idea what's going on but it works. So it's not ideal as if I pres the Fn+ Right arrow again (to adjust or switch off the backlight) it locks the keyboard again but at least it allows me to use the backlight function. . I hope it helps.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That worked! Thanks for the tip. While not a perfect solution it's a work around.

Thanks again