Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop shuts off by itself, overheating?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Laptop shuts off by itself, overheating?

I have a Gateway T-1630 laptop. Specs are as follows:
    AMD Turion™ 64 X2 2.0 GHz
    ATI RS690T chipset
    3072 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon® X1270 graphics (lspci -v reports RS690M, X1200)

I have tried 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, and 11.10. All default Ubuntu installs and no matter what the laptop will just shut off out of know where after heavy use. Example is Pioneer Trail in Facebook which is a Flash Media Game. You can hear the fan increase it's speed trying to cool down the laptop but I guess it can't keep it cool enough because it shuts down. The few solutions I have tried so far
    1. Took off panel and cleaned out fan and vents
    2. I've tried to use CPU scaling and set it to "conservative" or to just stay 800Mhz
    3. The bios is updated with the most recent bios per Gateway website (90.03)
    4. Tried using Google Chrome Browser because maybe it was a firefox memory leak issue but it still shut off when playing pioneer trail in Chrome Browser also.

I am at my wits end here. Can someone please help me? Is it the radeon open source driver that causes it to overheat? Should I try to install fglrx? I love Ubuntu and want to use ubuntu on this older laptop but obvisouly I can't if it's just going to shutoff when trying to use it under heavy stress. The battery doesn't hold juice anymore, so it's always plugged into wall, does that make a difference?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Laptop shuts off by itself, overheating?

BUMP Please help, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Can you run these commands in the terminal to install these packages?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install acpi
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
    Afterwards, can you run these commands in the terminal and post the outputs?

Code:
    acpi -V
    sensors
    Hopefully these will give us some info on your problem!

- Red
    Everything in the future is a wave, everything in the past is a particle. -Lawrence Bragg

Parabola: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
    Completely freed... Libre GNU/Linux !!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    Can you run these commands in the terminal to install these packages?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install acpi
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
    Afterwards, can you run these commands in the terminal and post the outputs?

Code:
    acpi -V
    sensors
    Hopefully these will give us some info on your problem!

- Red
    Results of commands

Code:
    acpi -V
    Adapter 0: on-line
    Cooling 0: LCD 0 of 7
    Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 3
    Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10

Code:
    sensors
    k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp: +58.0°C
    Core0 Temp: +55.0°C
    Core1 Temp: +58.0°C
    Core1 Temp: +57.0°C

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    I have a Gateway T-1630 laptop. Specs are as follows:
    AMD Turion™ 64 X2 2.0 GHz
    ATI RS690T chipset
    3072 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon® X1270 graphics (lspci -v reports RS690M, X1200)

I have tried 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, and 11.10. All default Ubuntu installs and no matter what the laptop will just shut off out of know where after heavy use. Example is Pioneer Trail in Facebook which is a Flash Media Game. You can hear the fan increase it's speed trying to cool down the laptop but I guess it can't keep it cool enough because it shuts down. The few solutions I have tried so far
    1. Took off panel and cleaned out fan and vents
    2. I've tried to use CPU scaling and set it to "conservative" or to just stay 800Mhz
    3. The bios is updated with the most recent bios per Gateway website (90.03)
    4. Tried using Google Chrome Browser because maybe it was a firefox memory leak issue but it still shut off when playing pioneer trail in Chrome Browser also.

I am at my wits end here. Can someone please help me? Is it the radeon open source driver that causes it to overheat? Should I try to install fglrx? I love Ubuntu and want to use ubuntu on this older laptop but obvisouly I can't if it's just going to shutoff when trying to use it under heavy stress. The battery doesn't hold juice anymore, so it's always plugged into wall, does that make a difference?

I know you said you took of the panel, BUT you might want to disassemble it a little further.

You need to make sure you get everything out of the heatsink that should run underneath the keyboard. Usually the CPU and video card share the same copper cooling tube. Pull off the keyboard, remove as many pieces as you can and hit it with an air compressor ... or can of air

OH and make sure your CPU fan is spinning. Look under the laptop with a flash light and peak into the vents, you should see the fan spinning pretty good.

Beans

put heat sink compound between the copper tube and the processor. you need good heat transfer or it will overheat and crash...i use the cheapy from radio shack, its silicone base heat sink compound. Was having same issue with my gateway m1625 about 6 weeks ago...
    Last edited by superbatlife; October 21st, 2011 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superbatlife View Post
    put heat sink compound between the copper tube and the processor. you need good heat transfer or it will overheat and crash...i use the cheapy from radio shack, its silicone base heat sink compound. Was having same issue with my gateway m1625 about 6 weeks ago...
    i've built plenty of towers but i have never messed around with a laptop. so you're saying i just need remove the heat sink that sits on top of the cpu, clean surfaces and apply new thermal paste? i think i have some arctic silver left over from my last computer build.is this done from removing bottom panels or do i have to remove keyboard? hopefully there is a guide out there somewhere of steps to disassemble laptop. thanks for your help, i'll post results after this weekend.

Beans

On my gateway the copper piece and processor are just under the cover, where as on my acer, I have to do more extensive disassembling. I wouldnt know on yours without seeing it. I do know that after redoing the heat sink compound that mine stopped overheating. Its wierd with laptops. My acer never even gets warm. The other thing on my gateway is that when I boot up it telles me I have a bad battery. It is correct, my battery is bad. I think it telling me is really cool. Do you have any clue as to radeon x1270 drivers for ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Definitely try the fresh heatsink compound. My Dell is prone to doing exactly what yours does but, even after cleaning and fresh compound it still shuts off after heavy use, especially Firefox use (Firefox seems to be bad for thrashing the processor).
    This didn't help me and I cured the problem by getting a cheap and cheerful laptop cooler. Only cost a few notes and the laptop never shuts off now.
    A lot of posts about my model Dell having this problem and this is what has cured mine - get good air flow under the laptop, never put it on your lap directly.

My setup is a piece of hardboard or slim mdf as a bas the, the laptop cooler and then the laptop. Absolutely no problem with shutting off after this.
    It is a little clumsy but, it keeps me going...
    Ultimate Edition, based on Ubuntu, is the only way to go...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superbatlife View Post
    On my gateway the copper piece and processor are just under the cover, where as on my acer, I have to do more extensive disassembling. I wouldnt know on yours without seeing it. I do know that after redoing the heat sink compound that mine stopped overheating. Its wierd with laptops. My acer never even gets warm. The other thing on my gateway is that when I boot up it telles me I have a bad battery. It is correct, my battery is bad. I think it telling me is really cool. Do you have any clue as to radeon x1270 drivers for ubuntu?
    i am under the impression that the radeon driver provided in ubuntu is good enough for my purposes. i don't need all that fancy 3d direct rendering BUT it did cross my mind that different drivers may handle the radeon x1200 (GS690M) differently? Maybe some drivers control the fan better or whatever, I dunno??? It shuts off like clockwork if my GF is on facebook playing a flash media intensive game like pioneer trail or similar.

I still didn't take it apart yet to redo the thermal paste, got busy this weekend. will take a look at it soon. thanks for the feedback everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast