Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it bad to repeatedly install lots of different OS's?

Beans

is it bad to repeatedly install lots of different OS's?

Hi,
    so, I seem to compulsively re-partition and install lots of different distro's, I'm wondering if this is bad for the HDD or BIOS?

I got an Asus seashell 1005-px netbook last winter, and since then it's had Windows 7 starter, Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 11, Backtrack5, Ubuntu 10.10, Crunchbang, Ubuntu 11.10, Archbang, backtrack5-R and fedora (and possibly more) all installed on the HDD with various partitioning configurations, sometimes dual booting, sometimes not.

I know I should probably stick with VMs and Live cd's. and realize that this behavior is non-sensical and probably indicative of some psychological condition, however my main concern is that i may be damaging my kit.

so, what's the wear and tear from this kind of activity?

thanks for any advice.
    f.g.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: is it bad to repeatedly install lots of different OS's?

i dont think ther will be any peroblem..
    i have gone through a similar experience( win xp ,ubuntu 9.10,ubuntu10.4, mint,vista,ubuntu 10.10,win7) they were always in dual boot.. my machine is 6 yrs & i hav had no problems with the hdd (always with the OS especially windows)... so i think you too shouldnt have problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    Hi,
    so, I seem to compulsively re-partition and install lots of different distro's, I'm wondering if this is bad for the HDD or BIOS?

I got an Asus seashell 1005-px netbook last winter, and since then it's had Windows 7 starter, Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 11, Backtrack5, Ubuntu 10.10, Crunchbang, Ubuntu 11.10, Archbang, backtrack5-R and fedora (and possibly more) all installed on the HDD with various partitioning configurations, sometimes dual booting, sometimes not.

I know I should probably stick with VMs and Live cd's. and realize that this behavior is non-sensical and probably indicative of some psychological condition, however my main concern is that i may be damaging my kit.

so, what's the wear and tear from this kind of activity?

thanks for any advice.
    f.g.
    No?

I have re-installed over 50 times lol. Always trying different things. I hate using virtual sessions and dual boot. I like to feel like I am committing to something... although as you can guess... i have not!

Beans

thanks for your quick replies, that good to hear that it is probably OK.

so, collisionystem, each time I install it's going to be the final one, and my system will finally be perfectly setup, and this time I will be committed (who was it who said something about 'repeating the same behavior and expecting different outcomes'?). sounds like you're in the same boat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by F.G. View Post
    thanks for your quick replies, that good to hear that it is probably OK.

so, collisionystem, each time I install it's going to be the final one, and my system will finally be perfectly setup, and this time I will be committed (who was it who said something about 'repeating the same behavior and expecting different outcomes'?). sounds like you're in the same boat.
    lol I am just never satisfied. Right now I am back on Win7 and it so refreshing to be able to use iTunes and upgrade my ipod properly.

I finally put a 2nd hard drive in my computer last week and just install linux on that.
    I disconnect my windows hard drive when installing, when I am done i plug it back in. grub 2 automatically see's it. I no longer keep my windows drive in during installs become grub is like a virus that infects both drives during an installation.

Beans

You know with Vmware Workstation, you can take control of a physical hard drive and install linux directly to it all from inside your windows session?

I have not tried it yet... but I am going to today.

finally no more rebooting to sit during an install.

Beans

Hmm that sounds interesting, VMWare Workstation is the non-free one isn't it (rather than VM player)? the question then remains how do you use the OS. presumably you can just plug in the hard disk to your machine and it will boot up.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I just wish that more people would do like you guys: Trying a number of distros before making a choice. Please promote the idea.

We could avoid half of the posts here if people investigated what is offered rather than forcing one particular distro to do all the tricks.
    Last edited by mörgæs; October 18th, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

I have a six year old Dell Inspiron at home, that I've reformatted, installed, and reinstalled so many times, my wife thinks I have OCD. I've never had a problem with the hard drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesan View Post
    I have a six year old Dell Inspiron at home, that I've reformatted, installed, and reinstalled so many times, my wife thinks I have OCD. I've never had a problem with the hard drive.
    Same here. Saying that, when looking at new distros I prefer to run them from USB sticks first. They usually install to the stick faster and it doesn't mean you have a machine taken out of action. Also, stick dropbox on them and you can still access your files

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast