Thread: No Skype notification in Unity 11.10, and no way to recall the main skype panel!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry No Skype notification in Unity 11.10, and no way to recall the main skype panel!

Hi,
    I'll spare you from my Unity woes except one major problem: Skype notification icon is not showing in Unity's bar at the top right. Yes, I have set the systray option to ['all'].
    What is worst is that if I close Skype via the little X on the top right, I then loose the ability to recall the Skype panel again. The skype app is still running so clicking on the Skype icon in the launcher just tries to start up another Skype instance and fails as I'm already running one in which I'm logged in.
    The only thing I can do is open system monitor, kill the skype app, open it again and keep the panels open all the time. I see a lot of threads about skype but couldn't find any regarding this problem.

Running Ubuntu 11.10 64bit on a Thinkpad T61p.

Thanks
    Harel

Beans

Re: No Skype notification in Unity 11.10, and no way to recall the main skype panel!

same problem here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Skype notification in Unity 11.10, and no way to recall the main skype panel!

I have one more detail to mention which I just discovered - this happens in Unity 2D for me. When I run the standard Unity it works ok, and I have my skype notification.
    I'll switch to standard Unity for now though I suspect not everyone can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unity 2D seems to perform better on my crippled laptop... Wish I could have the skype notify icon show up...
    Why release products if they are not complete? Did MS bought Canonical or something?
    Last edited by yamagami; October 18th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1861843

roobinatube's solution worked for me after restart