Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 install netbook Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Fails

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 install netbook Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Fails

Potential installer workaround:

MUST BE USING A USB STICK.

Use UNetBootIn to make a USB installer for whatever flavor you favor (I lean towards Xubuntu, personally). Reboot onto the USB stick (on a computer with a working internet connection using the installer).

From there, either from one of the terminals (ctrl-alt-f1) or from within Xubuntu (Try (X|L|K)Ubuntu without installing):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/emgd-fix
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xorg-emgd emgd-dkms
    sudo emgd-xorg-conf

If all that completes successfully, put it in your Dell Inspiron Mini 10 and attempt to boot off of it. It may work.

If it does, you may need to follow the above steps again once your install is complete and you attempt to boot off the hard drive again.

All of the packages on the emgd-fix PPA are experimental, and some may be broken on your system. Usual provisos about backing up and inexperienced users beware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Terralthra View Post

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/emgd-fix
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xorg-emgd emgd-dkms
    sudo emgd-xorg-conf
    Did not work for me, also i think the line above should have read "sudo apt-get install xorg-emgd emgd-dkms emgd-xorg-conf"

Either way, it did not work for me. It installed correctly using the bootable usb on another pc, but netbook still errors out when trying to load ubuntu. Did this method work for you? If it did, i'll keep plugging away at, otherwise i'm about to give up. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just found some good info, that i'm currently trying. I'm going to try the "custom iso" that lucazade appears to have made. I started searching, and did find a lot of info for the gma500 intel video. Here are some of the links i found, and i'll post if i get it working.

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=4605 (link to custom iso)
    2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345 (alot of info to sort through) (this is the thread from the link above, but the thread is growing faster than i can read, so if someone finds better info, please post)
    3. http://askubuntu.com/questions/68935...-splash-screen

There is alot of info out there to sort through, more than i thought. One just needs to know what to search for. I'll post back and let you know how it works out. If someone finds a better thread related to The dell mini 10 then please post.

... just when i was about to give up, something told me to keep looking.
    Last edited by SirWeazel; November 5th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The iso image from the forum I mentioned above (link #1 & #2 from the post above) appears to be working good. It only works well with unity 2d, so if you have a problem then logout and change settings to unity 2d and log back in. I'll work with it some more, but for now I'm recommending this great build that someone (i think lucazade) put together. If credit for the build belongs to someone else then please let me know. Like I said earlier, the thread was growing faster than I could read and had to skim sections.

Beans

I have two dell. Both were installed with the same flash drive installation.

In the Mini 1010 (with 1GB RAM, HDMI input): ubuntu 11.10 i386 desktop did not work. He began to install but stopped talking after a firmware that I do not which. And start show a root login.

In inspiron 1428: ubuntu 11.10 i386 desktop worked perfectly.

Excuse me for bad English.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

tarsofagundes, try the custom iso from member lucazade. It worked perfect for me. I provided a link to it in my previous post (post#13 link#1).

Beans

Anyone try this with Gnome-Shell instead of Unity? I have become a "Unity hater" as I've found it ridiculously buggy even on my Dell Studio 1737. I don't particularly love Gnome-Shell but for my wife on her mini I think she'll prefer that over my setup (I'm running E17 with Bodhi). I know there are other options out there but I think Gnome-Shell offers less technical users a lot of options plus a decent looking setup and relatively good stability. If no one has tried I may be attempting it tomorrow evening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, i make it work for my Inspiron mini 10 (AKA mini 1011 or mini 10v). It have a Broadcom card on it.
    I went into the BIOS for that you have to press F2 on the POST screen(dell logo).
    I'm using BIOS version A00.
    I went into the "Advanced" tab and chage some of the default settings and here is how its on mine.
    Boot-time Diagnostic Screen [Disabled]
    QuickBoot Mode [Enabled]
    Intel (R) SpeedStep(TM) Technology [Enabled]
    On Board LAN Control [Disabled]
    WLAN Control [Enabled]
    Blootooth [Enabled]
    USB BIOS Legacy Support [Enabled]
    USB Wake Support [Enabled]
    Function Key Behavior [Multimedia]

***The important stuff here is to disable the On Board LAN Control***

i hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks adrianlancer

My Dell Mini would not recognize the USB key (with Ubuntu 12.04 on it).

At least, with you solution, I have some reaction from my laptop. I feel I need to continue trouble shooting a bit, as the screen displays as if it was seriously drunk...
    Last edited by radard; October 1st, 2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: found a solution the second after publishing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by radard View Post
    Thanks adrianlancer

My Dell Mini would not recognize the USB key (with Ubuntu 12.04 on it).

At least, with you solution, I have some reaction from my laptop. I feel I need to continue trouble shooting a bit, as the screen displays as if it was seriously drunk...
    Do you know the exact model of your netbook? Dell Mini 10 is not it, it's rather a generic name, that covers several products, namely Dell Mini 1010, 1011, 1012, and possibly more. Can you elaborate on what's the problem, then someone might be able to offer help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12