Thread: Firefox & chromium crash repeatedly

Beans

Firefox & chromium crash repeatedly

I did a fresh install of 11.10 this morning. Firefox crashes constantly. I installed Chromium and it's slightly better. I can get about 2 to 3 tabs open and BOOM. I am a rookie. I have attached my logs. When I tried to create xorg.txt I got a message that it did not exist. I appreciate any help in resolving this.

Thank you!!!
    Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Firefox & chromium crash repeatedly

My Firefox keeps crashing as well. Whenever I go to open a new tab, it freezes and then the window turns gray.

I've had to revert back to Chrome due to this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi! I had this problem too. When I started Firefox from the terminal, I could see there was a problem with the gecko-mediaplayer. So, here's what solved the problem for me:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge gecko-mediaplayer gnome-mplayer
    After that, I rebooted (just to be sure) and reinstalled both:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer gnome-mplayer
    The bug is documented here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/812053

For some reason, upgrading from natty to oneiric failed to make a "clean" installation of the gecko-mediaplayer.

Good luck!

Beans

I checked and I didn't have the gecko items installed. I installed those and left the terminal window open. I opened firefox and it crashed right away. The terminal window showed an error for something like unable to find "pixmap" so I installed that. Facebook has stopped crashing using Chromium. However this page, UbuntuForums.org crashes repeatedly using Chromium. Starting to make progress.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deeporbit View Post
    I checked and I didn't have the gecko items installed. I installed those and left the terminal window open. I opened firefox and it crashed right away. The terminal window showed an error for something like unable to find "pixmap" so I installed that. Facebook has stopped crashing using Chromium. However this page, UbuntuForums.org crashes repeatedly using Chromium. Starting to make progress.
    Well, Chromium has crashed a few times after installing gecko-player. Hrm....It's not crashing as bad but still.