Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIsable alt tilde in 11.10

Beans

DIsable alt tilde in 11.10

Hi,

I just upgraded to 11.10, and alt tilde is now a system hot key. I use this (a lot) for IntelliJ; I want to disable it. I checked Keyboard > Shortcuts, but it is not there to disable.

Is there a way I can do this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: DIsable alt tilde in 11.10

Any updates? I dont fount any binding in ccsm for this

Beans

Nope, no good news This posting was my only hope....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by akudlick View Post
    Hi,

I just upgraded to 11.10, and alt tilde is now a system hot key. I use this (a lot) for IntelliJ; I want to disable it. I checked Keyboard > Shortcuts, but it is not there to disable.

Is there a way I can do this?
    Stumbled here looking for the same answer. Unfortunately I discovered that it's apparently hard coded.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...5?comments=all
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Boo! I guess they figured no other applications use this key. Thanks for the info though.

Beans

I am yet another IntelliJ IDEA user. Is it still not possible to disable or change this shortcut?

Beans

Smile Re: DIsable alt tilde in 11.10

Greetings, fellow furious IntelliJ IDEA users. I can report that it IS possible to fix this idiocy in Ubuntu 11.10, despite what that bug report says:

1) Install the compizconfig-settings-manager package
    2) The setting we are all searching for is Desktop -> Ubuntu Unity Plugin -> Switcher
    3) Change "Key to flip through windows in the switcher" to something else

Now, whoever buried this setting here and called it something so bizarre as to make Googling for it the exercise of pain I have just undertaken should be killed, but hey, that's what we get for running Linux. HTH!

P.S. For anyone who might be tempted to follow the advice here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859392, DON'T DO IT, as not only does it NOT work, the custom keybindings feature is itself horribly non-documented and also just flat broken.

Beans

Thanks! This worked perfectly! Now I can go back to my old, productive self.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbmanica View Post
    Greetings, fellow furious IntelliJ IDEA users. I can report that it IS possible to fix this idiocy in Ubuntu 11.10, despite what that bug report says:

2) The setting we are all searching for is Desktop -> Ubuntu Unity Plugin -> Switcher
    This works for me - kind of. When I go to that particular window, I see the 'Key to flip through windows in the switcher' shortcut listed as disabled. What I find is that if I set it to a key combination (any key combo) then make it disabled again, it frees up my alt-tilde key combination......until the next reboot. No idea why this change isn't permanent or how to make it so (or why it claims the shortcut is disabled to start with when it isn't)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbmanica View Post

Now, whoever buried this setting here and called it something so bizarre as to make Googling for it the exercise of pain I have just undertaken should be killed, but hey, that's what we get for running Linux. HTH!

P.S. For anyone who might be tempted to follow the advice here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859392, DON'T DO IT, as not only does it NOT work, the custom keybindings feature is itself horribly non-documented and also just flat broken.
    This works for me!
    Thank you so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast