Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 Open File with other "Custom" Application

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Open File with other "Custom" Application

As a Windows user who just installed the latest Ubuntu, I agree with others that there needs to be a way to navigate to a custom application (gnome-terminal, for instance, for a command-line app?), just like there is in Windows. I shouldn't have had to find the answer for this in an on-line forum. Over-simplifying the desktop and taking away options hurts the Ubuntu cause.

Beans

Greetings,
    Had the same problem with gPHPEdit. The solution in post #2 worked perfect.
    Thanks.

While on the same subject, would you by chance know how to remove multiple entries from that same context menu. Not a big deal, would just like to clean it up a bit.
    tlcstat
    Last edited by howefield; August 20th, 2016 at 02:56 PM.

Beans

While on the same subject, would you by chance know how to remove multiple entries from that same context menu. Not a big deal, would just like to clean it up a bit.
    While in the list, right click and select to remove the association.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can open any image file with XnViewMP, an awesome image viewer better than anything I've seen in Linux.

But, I cannot open .jpg with XnViewMP. I cannot choose it from the list. What's going on here?

Tried here, not helping: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-add...th-window.html
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans

Hi there. First post here, hope I'm not reviving a too old post or sth.

I have a problem. I need to open a .image file with an application I downloaded (squeak). And I don't understand how to create the .desktop file (it does not exist, or otherwise I have not been able to find it) or how to edit it.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

Edit: Solved with Ubuntu Tweak.
    Last edited by sentey; October 5th, 2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I still can't get files to open that I save using firefox deskcut. they have a .desktop extension. I did your hack and I get an open with on other files but not the .deskcut files. I love deskcut but due to this issue it is unusable. All I need to do is set .descut to open with firefox. I HATE that they keep making things harder and less options.

Beans

I totally agree, snecci. I used to hawk Ubuntu to Linux wannabe-newbies because it is so easy to transition to. But when someone comes back to me with an issue like this, and I have to open a command line and perform (what appears to them to be) a foreign program language, I see their eyes glaze over with "Dear God What Have I Done!" and conversion back to Windows or OSX may not be far behind.

What a shame. What a stupid ridiculous shame. Especially since this post started in 2011 and it is now 2013 and this is still the case. Nothing has reverted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The annoying simplification that @cmcanulty mentions makes Ubuntu more and more not unlike the OSX that @vcell mentions and the (former) OSX users love. Canonical is not crazy. For every tech-savvy user that they **** off, they gain 10 new 'dumb' users.

Also, although you have to do abacadabra in the command line, know that most fixable problems, however small infuriating, are unfixable on OSX by the average OSX user. They have to go back to a service point, complain to the developers, or just deal with it.

Furthermore, Ubuntu has been more like a smart-tv since about 12.04 and nobody likes those smart-tv-menus. So if you want to recommend anything to friends who are new to Linux, give them Linux Mint Cinnamon edition.

Linux Mint is Ubuntu "what it should be". All stupid decisions (more and more) are rolled back. No 'political' decisions to hold certain packages back. And Cinnamon is a Gnome-Shell fork "what it should be". Modern, yet normal. No crazy shell or silly unity.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12