Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [INFO] 11.04 -> 11.10 DBus / network-config / gconf boot error Info Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[INFO] 11.04 -> 11.10 DBus / network-config / gconf boot error Info Thread

Because it appears there are a good many of us that have run into issues during their upgrades from 11.04 to 11.10, resulting in the issues, and similar issues, the ones below, I figured that I would take a minute to cover them and compile a list of proposed solutions.

Please post responses, ideas, tips, suggestions etc and I will update this thread accordingly.

Issues

Issue 1: At boot time, you get a slew of messages akin to this, then X fails to load at all and all you have is TTY...
    Code:
    modem-manager[898]: Could not get the system bus. make sure the message bus daemon is running! 
    message: failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: connection refused
    Issue 2:
    Code:
    ** (gdm-binary:2292): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
    Issue 3:
    Code:
    (process:3547): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

SOLUTIONS

The solutions are suggestions that I have come across on the forums, that have seemed to be working for a good many people. I would suggest that should you be experiencing any of these issues, you give them a try. I encourage feedback on this thread!

First, when the screen goes black and X fails to start, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to TTY1 and login as normal. This will drop you into single-user mode, aka run-level 2

Code:
    sudo mv /var/run/* /run/
    sudo mv /var/lock/* /run/lock/
    sudo rm -r /var/run
    sudo rm -r /var/lock
    sudo ln -s /run /var/run
    sudo ln -s /run/lock /var/lock
    sudo rm /run/dbus/*
    What's happened here? 11.10 had paths changed, and the upgrade tool fails to symlink properly.
    Credit: codac (source)

Note: If you are getting an error re: no such file or directory, try running
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /run/lock
    prior to running the above block.

TIPS

If you are still having issues, try re-running the sym-link part
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /run /var/run
    sudo ln -s /run/lock /var/lock
    If you have issues when you try to sudo update-grub, try
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /var/run/ /run/
    sudo ln -s /var/lock/ /run/lock/
    As a final step, you should also run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Last edited by geudrik; October 17th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

Re: [INFO] 11.04 -> 11.10 DBus / network-config / gconf boot error Info Thread

Thanks! The basic solution fixed my problem.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for this solution. First Option has worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm glad that this has been of help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First solution worked for me too. Thanks. God only knows how a 'regular' user is supposed to deal with this kind of thing

Beans

Thanks my man. Your solution worked great!

Beans

Worked for me too, thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Adding in my two cents... two laptops here had similar problems on upgrade. Thanks for saving my tail.

Beans

Seems I am in this situation too, like described in Issue 1.
    But, maybe being a complete newbie with linux, i got stuck at step one: when I
    sudo mv /var/run/* /run/

it runs few lines, then stops at
    '/var/run/vmblock-fuse/dev' -> '/run/vmblock-fuse/dev'
    and I dont know how to continue.

I restarted the computer with the power button, tried again and again stoped at the same point.

What am i missing?

Beans

seems the problem is related to VMWARE.
    i found some details further details here:
    http://www.digitalxerf.com/ubuntu-11...irst-thoughts/
    http://uksysadmin.wordpress.com/2011...reen-solution/

will try and let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast