Thread: how can I recover part of a system's config with bash tools

Beans

Post how can I recover part of a system's config with bash tools

I want to use the bash in my Ubuntu and an ssh connection to recover part of the previous configuration of another Linux system. I have two versions of the same small Linux system for the same PC. One is Linux-A, which is the default configuration with a correct sound configuration, and the other is Linux-B, which has many further and desired configurations but the sound is misconfigured. So I want to copy as much as I can from A's sound configuration to B. I tried and copied several files from A to B and also deleted files in B whcih were not in A, hidden and not hidden, but still B's sound system is misconfigured and there's no sound.
    Since there are many more sound files I want to run a more complex command or series of commands to do this task.

The basic idea would be to delete all the files with names "*sound*" or "*alsa*" in B and copy all the files with those names from A to B. There are normal files and hidden files in many different directories and maybe internal links. I would like to save all those files from A in a tar ball, zip file or similar, and then extract them in B. I know rsync, find and cp are good tools for that But I don't know how to use them so that there are no broken links and to make the needed directories when copying the files.

Is there anyone willing to help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how can I recover part of a system's config with bash tools

Unless the computer are identical (hardware and software), I would recommend creating a thread specifically to solve Linux-B's audio problems.

Just a thought,
    Regards.

Beans

Re: how can I recover part of a system's config with bash tools

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Unless the computer are identical (hardware and software), I would recommend creating a thread specifically to solve Linux-B's audio problems.

Just a thought,
    Regards.
    It is for the same machine. That's why I wrote: "I have two versions of the same small Linux system for the same PC"

Actually Linux-A and Linux B are the same version but two different installations. I want only the sound config of one system and the rest of the configs of the other one.

I tried finding all files with "alsa", "sound" in their paths and copying them to the other install but it didn't work. Maybe I didn't do it ok