Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Hi,

Does k9copy allow you to also compress the audio when you're mastering a DVD? (i.e. creating a full directory structure with chapter stops and menus ready to be burned into a DVD)

My objective is to reduce audio quality in order to maximize the video quality, and this particular DVD I want to compress doesn't have a 2.0 audio track. So want to do is to take the 5.1 audio track and reduce it to 2.0, is that even possible with k9copy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some DVDs have several audio options. 5.1 as well as just plain stereo. If so, then yes, just uncheck the ones you don't want, and let 'er rip.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    Some DVDs have several audio options. 5.1 as well as just plain stereo. If so, then yes, just uncheck the ones you don't want, and let 'er rip.
    I understand that, but what about DVDs that don't have a 2.0 track? Is it possible to have K9copy take a 5.1 track and downmix it to 2 channels, similar to what a dvd player does?

Beans
    Distro

I don't know the full capabilities of k9copy, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think you can do that in it. I'm afraid you'd have to remaster it in avidemux and change the settings for the audio in there.

Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer?

Or perhaps kdenlive is the answer? I don't know much at all about it, but here's a wiki on it http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Kdenlive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RSparker View Post
    I understand that, but what about DVDs that don't have a 2.0 track? Is it possible to have K9copy take a 5.1 track and downmix it to 2 channels, similar to what a dvd player does?
    I don't think k9copy does that.

However, if your original disc only has a surround track (unusual, but certainly not out of the question), why not let k9copy do it's thing, and let the DVD player, beit hardware or software, figure out how to downmix it, which is the way it's supposed to happen.

Exactly what is required of DVD content producers varies from region to region, but I'm pretty sure the primary audio track has to be encoded for MPEG1 compatibility, which means the stereo channel information is always extractable by the player.

Of course, if you're trying to downmix prior to copying to save space, that sounds reasonable enough, but I'm afraid that I can't help out with a simple solution.

Beans

I suspected k9copy didn't do the kind of downmixing I had in mind, but maybe I was missing something obvious.

I wanted to avoid going to more complex A/V editing packages since the whole point of k9copy is to make it simple to strip a DVD down to the essentials.

One would think that, since it compresses the video, it would also be handy to convert the audio to 2 channels. I'm assuming this would save quite a bit of space when compared to a full blown multichannel track.

Quote Originally Posted by John_T View Post
    However, if your original disc only has a surround track (unusual, but certainly not out of the question), why not let k9copy do it's thing, and let the DVD player, beit hardware or software, figure out how to downmix it, which is the way it's supposed to happen.
    Of course, if you're trying to downmix prior to copying to save space, that sounds reasonable enough, but I'm afraid that I can't help out with a simple solution.
    Yes, saving space would pretty much be the whole point here. Many of the DVDs I own, especially asian ones (for some reason), only offer multichannel audio tracks. If I know the movies are only going to be watched on a stereo capable setup it seems like such a waste to include a full blown 6.1 track at the expense of video quality.

Thanks for the clarifications.
    Last edited by RSparker; May 13th, 2008 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Bummer. I have a slew of dvds waiting to burn, but when I start the rip:

Unable to open file /media/sdc6/movie name/dvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB

I have permissions to that folder, by the way.
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; December 26th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Beans

Hi there:

K9copy working fine with Ubuntu 10.10/64 bit....but not working at all with
    Mint 10/64 bit - no application window appears and DVD in drive isn't opened. All codecs etc. installed, as with Ubuntu 10.10. No other problems with Mint applications. Anyone else having the same problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Arrow Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Hi all - I hope this thread isn't dead...

I had K9Copy/VLC/K3b working perfectly on Ubuntu 11.10

BUT when I upgraded <?> to Ubuntu 12.04, K9Copy has a big problem.

I can rip a DVD to an 4400 MB .iso with it just fine (or so it seems)
    (other than a new error: "No VTS_TMAPT Available - skipping")

1. VLC crashes when I try to play the .iso file.
    (VLC : vm.c 1167 : play_Cell : assertion '0' failed)

2. I can burn the .iso to a DVD+R with K3B and it will play just fine on my stand-alone DVD player.

3. VLC crashes when I try to play that same DVD.

Anybody having the same problems????

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The thread concerns old software and is not relevant today. Development is fast, and information for old releases might be misleading.

If you have problems with the latest version of a package, please open a new thread. Closing this one.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112