Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

My experience thus far:

I have burned several previously decrypted iso images using K3b, NeroLinux and Gnomebaker, and the programs work 1 time then require a reboot before being able to burn another. I tried turning off auto eject and a few other things but so far no luck. I have started using the command line, which has worked every time so far. growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=filename.iso. I am happy using the command line and hate needing to reboot, so burring the image to the dvd using the command line is fine with me.

Most recently I used k9copy to shrink a dvd9 to dvd5 iso, complete with menus and it worked OK after using
    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=filename.iso I have yet to try ripping a previously purchased dvd.

Other than dvdshrink and dvd decrytper, I have yet to find anything that works well in wine. I tried several versions of Slysoft AnyDvd and a few other programs to handle the dvd decryption. I have been unable to find any really good methods in linux to make a backup of a recently purchased dvd, but still looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Looks like I'm running a bit behind the rest of you

Having a bit of trouble with this but a simple question:-

When K9 is creating an ISO image does it create a single ISO file? That's what I would expect but all I get is a directory with video_ts and audio_ts directories in. In the video_ts directory there are the files found in the same directory on the DVD. Seems I could do that by just copying them!

Thanks,

Nick.
    Preparing for Vista by moving to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've given up, put a new install of ubuntu on, and found a way to get to reiser fs partitions from XP, and haven't put the first thing relating to dvd writing on here, and don't intend to. I'll just relegate myself to keeping that xp partition for ripping dvds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How would you install K9 for AMD 64 version of 5.10?

Beans

I love this application when it is working on my machine. However, it seems to "break" sometimes. I have made backups of about 10 of my dvds and then I started getting an error message:
    An error occured while running DVDAuthor:
    dvdauthor: dvdvob.c:1297: FindVobus: Assertion `p>=s->vi[i-1].sectpts[1]' failed.
    I tried reinstalling all the packages that k9copy uses and k9copy and it started working again for 3-4 more dvds then i am back to the same message.

Anyone have any thoughts?

this is apparently happening to other people as well see this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=k9copy

no one has answered him so I thought I would try posting in this topic since you guys seem to know alot about k9copy.

andy

Beans

Unfortunately, I've stumbled into some trouble with k9copy. The program is fantastic, but as noted it sometimes can lack integration - for those of us who aren't true wizards, it can be a challenge.

After a new install of Ubuntu 7.04, I receive errors as noted here, but before the interface even appears. I made the mistake of manually loading the 'stable' (non-beta) version as well as k3b. Now I don't get the SIGSEGV error - in fact, there's no errors at all but the interface simply closes.

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    I'll just relegate myself to keeping that xp partition for ripping dvds.
    Don't give up! It worked a treat in my previous FC5 existence, and I had it work a few times before I moved up to Feisty. I suspect my problem lies in trying to outsmart

Beans

Hello,

I'm having a problem with K9Copy and thought someone here might be able to help. Iv'e searched the forums, google, all over the net and can't seem to find an answer.

When I copy a DVD using K9Copy, I check the boxes next to subtitles and select the audio and video tracks that I want. However when the process is finished and I watch the movie, there are no subtitles.

I've tried several ways of doing this, just selecting the english subtitle, selecting all subtitles, selecting everything on the entire DVD and burning to a Dual Layer DVD.... still no subtitles.

Am I missing anything? Is is a dependency issue? In the software it looks like everything is working, but at playback I get nothing. The disk I'm trying to copy is BABEL. It has many scenes with different languages and without subtitles it's pointless to watch.

Does anyone know why this isn't working?

Here is the output when I run K9Copy from a terminal

-------------------------------------------------------------

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
    Major opcode: 147
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.1.1-3 from http://xine.sf.net
    libdvdnav: DVD Title: BABEL_DOMESTIC
    libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 35938B9D
    libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): BABEL_DOMESTIC
    libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/kyle/.dvdnav/BABEL_DOMESTIC.map'
    libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
    libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using K9copy version 1.1.1-3 under Gnome on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by futsoulja View Post
    Hello,

I'm having a problem with K9Copy and thought someone here might be able to help. Iv'e searched the forums, google, all over the net and can't seem to find an answer.

When I copy a DVD using K9Copy, I check the boxes next to subtitles and select the audio and video tracks that I want. However when the process is finished and I watch the movie, there are no subtitles.

I've tried several ways of doing this, just selecting the english subtitle, selecting all subtitles, selecting everything on the entire DVD and burning to a Dual Layer DVD.... still no subtitles.

Am I missing anything? Is is a dependency issue? In the software it looks like everything is working, but at playback I get nothing. The disk I'm trying to copy is BABEL. It has many scenes with different languages and without subtitles it's pointless to watch.

Does anyone know why this isn't working?

Here is the output when I run K9Copy from a terminal

-------------------------------------------------------------

Failed to open device
    Failed to open device

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using K9copy version 1.1.1-3 under Gnome on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

Thanks!
    I'm having a problem similar to this where I choose certain subtitles and they're either not there or classified under different languages. For example, I would select English and Spanish subtitles for a DVD. When playing the DVD and choosing English subtitles, I'd get nothing. If I chose Spanish subtitles, I'd get the English subtitles. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow View Post
    It seems that there is a wiki for running DVD Shrink in Wine, but no wiki for the excellent Linux native replacement for DVD Shrink, K9Copy, so I decided to create one.

The new wiki page can be found here. I will also make this the official discussion thread.
    There are sites for using dvdshrink, dvddecryptor, etc, that have exact instructions from step one all the way to the end, with images. Can you do this on your wiki for people who may not be linux savvy and may not quite get how to do things, or for people who just never tried anything like this? A guide is a great tool to have.

I'm trying this again. It looks to me like things are right now, and I can use k9 to make an iso, then burn it in k3b and have an archived copy of new dvds, is this right? Or does the new version allow me to do a straight rip to dvd? Does this work with new dvds? I hate buying a dvd and leaving it to the whims of nature, i.e. letting other humans touch it, knowing full well that they will scratch it.

I sure hope this works, as I'm tired of wasting an entire hard drive on XP, and ripping dvds is about the only thing that is keeping me with a foot in the door of XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    There are sites for using dvdshrink, dvddecryptor, etc, that have exact instructions from step one all the way to the end, with images. Can you do this on your wiki for people who may not be linux savvy and may not quite get how to do things, or for people who just never tried anything like this? A guide is a great tool to have.

I'm trying this again. It looks to me like things are right now, and I can use k9 to make an iso, then burn it in k3b and have an archived copy of new dvds, is this right? Or does the new version allow me to do a straight rip to dvd? Does this work with new dvds? I hate buying a dvd and leaving it to the whims of nature, i.e. letting other humans touch it, knowing full well that they will scratch it.

I sure hope this works, as I'm tired of wasting an entire hard drive on XP, and ripping dvds is about the only thing that is keeping me with a foot in the door of XP.
    In the past I was able to rip and burn backups of DVDs using win2k running inside of vmware. I just had to make the VM large enough to have the necessary space. Just something to consider if you can't get the native apps to work. (most of the native apps can't handle the newest copy protection schemes used by Sony)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast