Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    Well I thought I'd post here first. Why is k9 creating a 4.7gb disc when I try to right click burn iso there is not enough space. Same with sky captain came out as 4.5gb still can't burn.

Now people talk about then installing k3b with overburn checked but what is the poinst if all other programs consider a sl disk as 4464mb which is 4.38gb then why dosn't k9?

That is why I still use dvdshrink under wine.

1) It allows me to set custom size for file or iso which is great for those cheaper disc which are not good for overburning or even filling up to the max of 4.38gb

2) It allows me to save as a video_ts folder which allows me to save it to a fat32 hd which gets around the 4gb single file limitation.

3)It allows me to replace annoying warnings at beginning with my own stills and maintain's dvd navigation menu's.

4) Allows me to do custom compression like max compress on extra's so main movie gets more space.

5) Click reauthor to get just the main movie and set the start and finish frames. Note: Great for taking 2-disc 2-part movies. Have ripped like cleopatra which is a two disc and reauther both to one Long movie disc. Have gotten up to 4hr long movies this way. Of course you lose quality but it is still quite watchable.

6) Does k9 even allow opening an iso for rencoding without having to mount iso first? But dvdshrink does which is nice so I can get those stupid 4.7 yes I said stupid because this is not even an issue in the windows world of dvd ripping programs they all know about 4.38gb disks.

Now you may think of me as a spoiled windows user whining. That is not the case. I have converted to ubuntu with glee and awe at the power of linux.

But that dosn't mean I am going to put on rose-covered glasses and pretend that the gui linux dvd ripping programs are on par with the windows programs they are not, not yet anyways. But I have the faith they will be and hope they come in full bloom.

Until that day I recommend dvdshrink. And will keep an eye on k3b,k9 and others.

And if any can answer the question at the beginning of this post thanks.
    Good job hitting the nail on the head. I get tired of posting, "I can't get dvds to rip, or I can't this that and the other thing" and some yahoo posts, "I did with no problem, you obviously did something wrong", then they disappear. (I don't think they even use linux, they're just aliens from the planet Trollopia stirring up trouble)

Good points, all. I have given up on even thinking about using any of the schlockware that linux has for burning anything (even down to floppies, thank you), and will keep a dual boot to windows at all times for situations where I need to rip or burn. I have dvdshrink and decrypter for linux, both, but would rather just boot to windows and not have the possibility of problems. Besides, there's ripit4me that works in windows. I have tried it in wine in linux, and it doesn't work yet. I'll keep messing withit, but so for, no good.

And please, if anyone can make a guide for a common person that explains in detail how to make dvdrip work, mate with some humans so our gene pool will evolve...

Beans

I'm running k9copy 1.1.0-beta1 on X86 Dapper. I'm having partial success, but don't know what to do to fix my remaining problems.

The k9copy authors are obviously fine programmers, but the human factors leave something to be desired. The "output directory" appears to be the temp directory that gets the shrunken audio/video files.

I can successfully play the k9copy "output directory" with VLC.

However, the mkisofs failed with no error information. Suggestions? Given that I have the full (shrunken) DVD image on hard disk, can anyone suggest the correct mkisofs options so that it can be done manually?

The video's top-level menus work, but the (chapter) menus within titles hang VLC, so I assume that they were not correctly generated. Ideas?

I'd love to find a way to avoid Windows or one of the more complicated Linux encoder scripts, but k9copy's human factors aren't quite up to the job at this point. So close...

Beans

The video's top-level menus work, but the (chapter) menus within titles hang VLC, so I assume that they were not correctly generated. Ideas?
    Appears to be a VLC issue. I just made a DV-9 to DV-9 (DL) backup and VLC had the same problem. Disc worked fine on a standalone DVD player.

None of the Linux DVD players are entirely reliable. Mplayer, while very capable, is also quite unstable. Totem...sigh....

Gotta give kudos to the devlopers of k3b. Great function, stability, reliability, human factors, and documentation. Equal or better to any commercial product on any OS. It prompted me twice during the DV-9 backup, allowed me to fix the problems it saw, resumed to continue on to a successful backup.

Beans

I've been looking at alternatives to k9copy.

The book Linux Multimedia Hacks describes
    Hack #65 Convert Dual-Layer DVD to Single-Layer DVD
    This technique uses http://dvdshrink.sourceforge.net/

I've spent a little time with it. The install.sh script will identify a number of dependencies which can be satisfied with apt-get. The script will then hang while trying to copy a named pipe.

Commenting the copy out and doing the file copy steps manually allows the script to complete. I then configured the tool and tried running it.

Unfortunately, there are binding issues between perl and gtk2 that result in Gnome session manager authentication failure.

I'm not going to spend any more time with it.

Wine and Windows "DVD Shrink" are starting to look attractive.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

When I install and run, on dapper 6.06.1 LTS, either the stable or the beta version from the deb packages at thepiratecove.org I get the following error:

/usr/local/kde/bin/k9copy: error while loading shared libraries: libkparts.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I discovered this is caused because it is dependent on package kdelibs4c2a which is not installed by default

Beans

I can't even get the program to run on my computer... I changed the file like the wiki said to be in GNOME instead of KDE, but it won't even run.

I tried it with sudo and a terminal, and this is what happens if I let it sit there for twenty minutes or so:

Code:
    sudo k9copy
    Password:
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
      Major opcode:  144
      Minor opcode:  3
      Resource id:  0x0
    Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
    Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
    Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"
    Failed to open device
    Failed to open device
    Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
    kbuildsycoca running...
    Reusing existing ksycoca
    kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file /usr/share/applications/DefaultPlugins.desktop has Type=Link instead of "Application" or "Service"
    kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : /usr/share/applications/DefaultPlugins.desktop
    kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
    Is it because my DVD drive is USB based? It keeps saying stuff about desktop entrys and stuff... I'm still a Linux (and Ubuntu) newb with all this, I'm not sure what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

I am also looking for a good Linux DVD ripper/copyier. On ******* I used what I believe is the best of the best - http://www.1clickdvdcopy.com/ but I do not have a windows partition anymore!

This will, with 15 secs of configuration thru the great GUI, remove all the adds, menus etc (if required to fit on a 4.7 Gb DVD), then burn to DVD. If the entire DVD will already fit on a 4.7 Gb DVD it will prompt to make an exact copy. It will also copy DVD9 disks as well. It is fast and I have not found a DVD it will not copy - as long as you have Slysoft running in the background.

I have tried the two under Wine with no success as I am a little new to do it.

Tony
    "Frankly Bill ... I don't give a damn!"
    Linux User # 434139
    Using Ubuntu 10.10 on my eeepc and loving it!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow View Post
    Hey guys, sorry about neglecting the thread for awhile. I have gone back to the wiki and compiled a .deb for the new version of K9Copy. Hopefully this will save the time and effort of compiling while resolving the issues you guys are having.

Enjoy!

Edit: The .deb is located at http://thepiratecove.org/files/k9cop...2_2-1_i386.deb
    Link does not work, gives a 404 error.

EDIT: Never mind, I read further in the thread and found the the link change. Perhaps fixing the link earlier in the thread? I think some folks may be finding the first link they come to doesn't work and they give up on the thread.
    Last edited by ardchoille42; January 18th, 2007 at 07:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By the way, I installed k9copy on Ubuntu Dapper from the repos with: "sudo aptitude install k9copy" and the install went fine. Using k9copy to rip a DVD9 (Terminator3 Rise of the machines) to a DVD5 went without problems and the DVD plays fine in MPlayer, Xine and my set top DVD player.

I also installed xdvdshrink with these steps:

1) sudo aptitude install transcode mjpegtools subtitleripper gocr
    2) Download xdvdshrink from here
    3) Unpack it and run the install.sh file as root. The installer will check for the existance of the above 4 packages (step 1) and will refuse to install if they are absent.
    4) You'll need to add xdvdshrink to the gnome menus (or kde menus?). The command to use in the menu item (or launcher) is: /usr/bin/xdvdshrink.pl

Using xdvdshrink to rip a DVD9 (Terminator3 Rise of the machines) to a DVD5 went without problems and the DVD plays fine in MPlayer, Xine and my set top DVD player.

Now, there are two good DVD rippers. Goodbye Window + dvdshrink
    Last edited by ardchoille42; January 18th, 2007 at 08:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am new to k9copy. Is there a difference if I use k3b or us k9 to burn it or should I just make an iso and then burn it? I tryed it both ways (not the iso burn method) and both don't play on my home dvd player (it may be because it is a dvd burner in its own right). please help I don't want to have to keep switching to windows to back up my movies.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast