Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Unless you have drastically changed Ubuntu defaults (which it sounds like you probably haven't) updatedb is routinely run as part of the daily cron job --- generally at some ungodly hour of the morning. Sometimes, however, it makes sense to run it right now. In a terminal:

Code:
    sudo updatedb
    Hope this helps.
    Bruce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That worked.

Yikes.

Code:
    libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_27_0.VOB at 0x003f9f87
    libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
    libdvdread: Found 26 VTS's
    libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
    Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
    and it locked up.
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; September 9th, 2006 at 07:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    it is easy to build it on your own. Just use --prefix=/usr/local option.
    I must start saying that Im not expericed at all in any linux distribuition. It just happens that in my old computer I couldnt use win anymore. I seems that with Kubuntu is not so difficult!
    Im trying in the last few days to make a copy of DUMBO for my 3 year old doughter and I cant make it work. I tryed dvdrip but is too complex. I have installed k9copy from ad and remove progrmas but the old version did not work fine with some erros . So I downloaded the deb packege with the 1.04 version from the link earlier in this forum but had the same problem of crashing while reading the DVD.
    I didnt understand the explanation above for a possible solution in my case.

Could give me some help? ...please

Beans
    Distro

I gave in and went and booted to xp and used dvd to burn it in no time flat.

That totally sucks. I really really really want to get off of xp, but like it or not, it's my failsafe.

Beans

it works fine for me, though I have to run it as sudo. the last 1.10 beta is quite nice...
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro

First off, I redid wine using this guide, then installed dvd decrypter again, and it recognizes that I have a dvd now. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...highlight=wine

Secondly, there's this that you might want to try, I use it on windows xp:

Link to ripit4me
    http://www.ripit4me.org/download.html

Link to fixVTS
    http://www.videohelp.com/~FixVTS/

Guide to ripit4me

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/360110

once you get wine installed, double click on ripit4me and follow the instructions.

Beans

Well I thought I'd post here first. Why is k9 creating a 4.7gb disc when I try to right click burn iso there is not enough space. Same with sky captain came out as 4.5gb still can't burn.

Now people talk about then installing k3b with overburn checked but what is the poinst if all other programs consider a sl disk as 4464mb which is 4.38gb then why dosn't k9?

That is why I still use dvdshrink under wine.

1) It allows me to set custom size for file or iso which is great for those cheaper disc which are not good for overburning or even filling up to the max of 4.38gb

2) It allows me to save as a video_ts folder which allows me to save it to a fat32 hd which gets around the 4gb single file limitation.

3)It allows me to replace annoying warnings at beginning with my own stills and maintain's dvd navigation menu's.

4) Allows me to do custom compression like max compress on extra's so main movie gets more space.

5) Click reauthor to get just the main movie and set the start and finish frames. Note: Great for taking 2-disc 2-part movies. Have ripped like cleopatra which is a two disc and reauther both to one Long movie disc. Have gotten up to 4hr long movies this way. Of course you lose quality but it is still quite watchable.

6) Does k9 even allow opening an iso for rencoding without having to mount iso first? But dvdshrink does which is nice so I can get those stupid 4.7 yes I said stupid because this is not even an issue in the windows world of dvd ripping programs they all know about 4.38gb disks.

Now you may think of me as a spoiled windows user whining. That is not the case. I have converted to ubuntu with glee and awe at the power of linux.

But that dosn't mean I am going to put on rose-covered glasses and pretend that the gui linux dvd ripping programs are on par with the windows programs they are not, not yet anyways. But I have the faith they will be and hope they come in full bloom.

Until that day I recommend dvdshrink. And will keep an eye on k3b,k9 and others.

And if any can answer the question at the beginning of this post thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Dang, I would be in windows when you ask that. I burned one finally that worked, but I don't remember what I did. Someone will be along with the answer soon, if not I'll post tonight.

Beans

Found it repo's have 1.0.2 which does not have the ability to adjust iso final size. The latest is 1.1.0 something.

I would wish they would put a damn date on the repo's so we can determine if we need to go elsewhere to get the latest.

Beans

As a Gnome user, I'm not getting anything when clicking on k9copy's "help." Nothing at project's homepage or sourceforge. I noticed in the .deb that there is documentation in docbook format.

Is there any easy way for me to get access this info? Docbook is well documented, but there don't seem to be any docs for novices on how to quickly translate to .html or .pdf.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast