Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Quote Originally Posted by John_T View Post
    Mostly because of #2, I'd like to get a non-compressed digital copy. How do others manage this, can it be done with K9Copy?
    See my earlier post here.

Beans

Question Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

OK. I really like this program but am having one annoying problem that I can not figure out how to get solved. I've seen the problem mentioned in a thread or two including over at the Kubuntu forums but no suggestions as to what to do to fix the issues ... which, btw, is:

I have a partitioned drive between Kubuntu and WinXP that is only 40gb total so it's split approximately half to both. So, after all programs installed on each side, there's not a lot of room left. As it's my laptop and I needed the space but still wanted portability, I bought a 160gb Western Digital Passport usb drive. I have it formatted in NTFS and it mounts excellently under ntfs-3g.

I have my settings under k9copy for the output directory to default to a folder on the portable passport drive. That is fine. However, when I direct k9copy to burn the resulting iso anywhere on my portable drive, it gives the following error:

remote files not accepted
    you can only select local files
    I barely have enough space left on either the winxp or kubuntu partitions of my main drive to save such a large iso but it will save to either including the ntfs winxp side. So I know it's not having my portable usb drive formatted in ntfs.

So what gives? Why does it call my portable drive "remote" like I'm trying to save it over a network or something? All my other programs recognize the drive as just another drive hooked up to my system so why is k9copy blocking me from saving the final iso to my portable drive? It won't even start the rip if I try to do so.

Is there any fix to this? It really doesn't seem to make any sense at all why it's acting this way.

help??

Beans

Exclamation Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

OH ... and now yet another problem. I can at least get k9copy to begin the ripping process as long as I send the iso save to the main hard drive but it crashes after just a few minutes in the process with a SIGSEGV error. Someone on the Kubuntu boards suggested deleting the k9copy config file so that it'd recreate it from scratch which I did but it didn't help.

This program worked GREAT up until about a week ago and the only things that have happened to my system since then is a few upgrades thru the update manager.

Seems like EVERY single time K/Ubuntu issues an update of some sort, it breaks something else. And it gets worse with each version. Gutsy has by far been the buggiest and most crash prone. It actually rather sucks. And I'm no K/Ubuntu basher. I've used it faithfully since Breezy. I'm simply tired of doing clean installs due to messes created by updates.

Beans

Hi Myke,
    I was having similar problems at the save dialog in k9copy after recent updates. Did you try running k9copy from a command line as sudo? This resolved the problem for me, but I am still working on the why of it. Perhaps it has to do with the k9copy/kde files in /tmp. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been using k9 with good results for a while to create backups of dvd's as iso files. I'm wondering now, how does one go about burning the ISO file to a dvd that will play in a DVD player? k9 in combination with k3b worked fine when I was doing the burn right after the copy, but with saved dvd iso files I'm drawing a blank. Any help?

Thanks,
    J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When K3B comes up, click on burn DVD ISO image, then navigate to the file or drag and drop, and burn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    When K3B comes up, click on burn DVD ISO image, then navigate to the file or drag and drop, and burn.
    Thanks. that is way to easy. for some reason I figured I had to extract or otherwise manipulate the file first.
    Brilliant.

J.

Beans
    Distro

No prob, and if you run into any problems, like I did with my birthday presents, fantastic 4 and rise of the silver surfer, dvdfab hd decrypter is a great tool. It does a full scale decrypt, then you run k9copy on it.

the things I have to go through to keep my store bought disks in pristine condition!

(run it in wine, btw)

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi

Maybe a basic question but I don't see how to reauthor a DVD ala DVDShrink or DVDDecryptor which allows me to include individual chapters etc. Am I missing something? When I choose the reauthor menuitem, it doesn't allow me to add individual chapters/sets.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

I think qdvdauthor is what you are looking for. You're wanting to basically form the structure of the dvd yourself?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast