Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

Quote Originally Posted by Namloc View Post
    Thanks for helping out MAFoElffen. I have just tried to go through your suggested troubleshoot however once I got into the TTY Text Console I could not type the symbol "|". Instead the button (shift + \) came up with "~".

Nevertheless, I tried all three of the options you mentioned and not much happened. For the "nVidia" and ",Intel" outputs, the insertions resulted in the boot screen stopping at the line "Checking battery state ... ". I wait for several minutes and nothing. When I inserted "radeon.mode=0", I got another line past this, but it too finished on the line:
    Code:
    [  20.378333] iwlagn 0000:03:000: Aggregation not enabled for tid 0 because load=6
    Anything else I should try?
    Thats the wrong symbol... look to ight of keyboard, above the <enter> Key... It says "\" and if you hold the <shift> key it says '|"... which in Linux is a directional piping symbol.

While in the text console... does it say it has an xorg.conf file present?
    Code:
    ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 18th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bao2 View Post
    I had the same problem, usually it stopped with the fail in this line:

*Starting System V runlevel compatibility [FAIL]

but also in others.

I could solve the problem. Here is what I did:

Instead starting using the default first entry in GRUB (kernel 3...)
    I used the second entry (kernel 3 (recovery mode)

Then a new window with options appears and I choose the first one that
    said "resume ...."

And ubuntu started using this recovery mode. Then open the "Additional Drives" program and there are two drivers:

1): NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]
    2): NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates) (version current-updates)

I was using the SECOND one. I deactivated it and now ubuntu 11.10 starts without any problem.

Now go to Additional Drivers and active the FIRST one and no hangings at the moment.

So the second driver seems have some problem and the solution is use the first one.
    Good Job. One down- 2 to go...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Namloc View Post
    Thanks Bao2. Unfortunately I haven't worked with these text based terminals before. What do I need to type in to open the "Additional Drives" program and what do I need to type in for the deactivation?
    Unfortunately, that applet is GUI based and you have to have it booting into a graphics screen to use that.

Please post the output of the lspic command using the clarification from 2 posts back... Post that info and that will tell us what Video card you have... so we can figure out how to get you going.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stepway View Post
    Thanks for feed back. Should add, sadly, mine didn't get as far as the 1st post. I get the same result, but on the install.
    It won't even run 11.10 from the flash drive. It stops during the Ubuntu 11.10 purple screen, has a brief message that begins with "B43-phyo error firmware file B43/uncode15.fw " then I end up with the screen much like that posted on the 1st thread.
    I can't help thinking this is an issue with the intel gma chipsetOn my Dell 12 mini
    11.04 was fine.
    Stuck at this stage I don't think I can use the MAFoElffen fix? maybe the error message sheds some light?
    I believe that error is a separate issue, as that error concerns wireless card firmware files.

Can you boot a LiveCD (without having to use any kernel boot settings) into the "try" Live Image?

If you can, maybe it would be corrected with a reinstall fresh as new(?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Welcome to Ubuntu!

Sidenote- Administrative wise in this forum, please post logs, commands and output within CODE tags. hjem posting or editing plaease hightlight the text , then press the "#" icon in the posting toolbar. Iaht will put the CODE tags around your selected text.

On your posted output... It looks okay, albeit the crash report line. Usually it gets about there or sooner if there a graphics problem... First you should confirm that the Linux kernel is booting.

Can you get to a Grub Menu? If you don't usually see it when booting- On boot, hold down the shift key. When the grub menu comes up, press "e'. That will put you into an edit mode. Arrow down to the line that begins with "linux". Arrow right to where is says "quiet splash vt.handoff=7" and replace it with "--verbose single". Press <cntrl><x> to boot. That should get it to try to boot the kernel with verbose meassging turned on- to a TTY Text Console.

If it finishes booting to a command prompt, the step above should confirm that everything is okay with the kernel and it's system modules. If all is well with that, then your problem lies on a different layer... In the X-Session, graphics drivers or desktop.

I'll stop there... I think that seeing the crash report generated halfway through the boot sequence, that there is some kind of problem there. It's at the point where it might be hitting the graphics and having a problem, but that doesn't usually throw a generated problem report. That concerns me.

Oh please, listen to yourself. If he can't get it installed how can he get to the logs, and what good are logs to people helping others. Please read what the users are posting in this forum and then work from that. If you need a specific log to help them you need to tell them where to go and what part of the log you need and how to get at that and where to post. I certainly don't want to see log files here because they often do little good, confuse new users, and spam the threads.

Whatever happened in the world when there were few if any logs? Did no one get help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo99 View Post
    Oh please, listen to yourself. If he can't get it installed how can he get to the logs, and what good are logs to people helping others. Please read what the users are posting in this forum and then work from that. If you need a specific log to help them you need to tell them where to go and what part of the log you need and how to get at that and where to post. I certainly don't want to see log files here because they often do little good, confuse new users, and spam the threads.

Whatever happened in the world when there were few if any logs? Did no one get help?
    Sir,
    Your Post was insulting to Users and Myself...

Since you have private messaging turned off, I had to send this for all to view, which I feel bad about. Viewing your other posts, You seem to be a negative kind of lot, and I think you try...
    If he can't get it installed how can he get to the logs, and what good are logs to people helping others.
    Whatever happened in the world when there were few if any logs?
    What good are the logs?
    - When needed, I explain what log(s) I need posted and where it is...
    - They don't need to understand how to read the log, that is for me to read.
    - In Unix and Linux, there is not a public version past-tense that didn't have logs.
    Did no one get help?
    I've been on this forum helping users almost around-the-clock for the past five days resolving user problems. (I am physicall disabled and cannot sleep.) I've had a "Graphics Resolution Sticky" since last June where I've actively helped others...

I explained am overall process of what might be. ATI and nVidia support explains less, but expects more, assuming that a user has a skill set to do what needs to be done. I assess a users skills and try to guide a user through what needs to be done.

I am here to help. If I am not at the problem personally, but I still need an idea of what is going on. The user has to paint a picture for us to see. I specialize in Graphics issues in Linux and Unix. I've been working on Oneiric since June with various hardware, so am a bit familiar with it's work-arounds for nVidia, ATI and Intel GPU's.

Am I tired, Yes. Do I feel offended by your post... No. If I am here to help others, that makes me feel good.

Beans

Smile Re: Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

For my part I very much appreciate the help, though I am still stuck... ..with Ubuntu, it can usually be worked out.
    To clarify, have Ubuntu 11.10 on a bootable pen drive & I am trying to install it on Dell 12 mini :- Processor intel Atom & Intel 500 GMA video.
    After past installations it normally needs additional graphics drivers... This time it won't install or even boot up from the pen drive. (I don't have a cd rom)
    As I mentioned earlier, during attempted installation:- " It stops during the Ubuntu 11.10 purple screen, has a brief message that begins with "B43-phyo error firmware file B43/uncode15.fw " then I end up with the screen much like that posted on the 1st thread."

?what to do ...what to do?

Beans

deleted
    Last edited by Namloc; October 19th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

Thats the wrong symbol... look to ight of keyboard, above the <enter> Key... It says "\" and if you hold the <shift> key it says '|"... which in Linux is a directional piping symbol.
    I realise this makes me appear stupid, however I am not kidding you when I say that pushing this button comes up with a "~" rather than the required "|". I have tried it numerous times with different people present and can't work it out. Oddly, there is no such problem with this button in Windows or even when I'm in edit mode in the Grub. Is there any way I can copy/paste to the text console?

While in the text console... does it say it has an xorg.conf file present?
    Code:
    ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Upon entering this, I simply see the line /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Does this imply that the file is present?

Cheers.

Beans

Hi Namloc, I think I can help you find the | symbol.... I had to hunt as it wasn't what was on my keyboard.... on my dell the number or hash symbol next to the return key did it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast