Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the old desktop gui layout gone??

Beans

Is the old desktop gui layout gone??

Last time I upgraded, I got this new gui on the desktop which I hated, but I was able to restore the old look by setting some option somewhere ( I forget now where it was).

Now that I am on the latest release, I have that awful gui again. Can I still revert back to the older GUI (the one that had System, Application and Places)? It sounds like you can't, but I wasn't clear on this one. Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is the old desktop gui layout gone??

I'm currently downloading a server version of Ubuntu 11.10 to see if I can then add GNOME to it to go back to the old system. I'll post again if I have any luck. Of course that won't be an upgrade, but a total rebuild. Nuts.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You can try this to revert to classic gnome: http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-...neiric-ocelot/
    but Gnome 2 is no longer being developed, which is why Ubuntu is pushing Gnome 3, gnome-shell and Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, fine; they're not developing gnome 2 anymore.
    But gnome 3 is still "too beautiful" to me--BTW, I hate the direction gnome is taking.
    What if I don't want side launcher bars, social network integration or window effects and I just want to do (mostly) everything from a terminal (as I always did with gnome 2)?
    Installing gnome-panel may be the temporary solution, but not a long term one. I think many linux users need a GUI that keeps things VERY simple and lets us do most of the things ourselves. Isn't it the linux spirit to let the user decide? What then are they _pushing for_ too much graphical stuff, social network integration, etc., when in theory it should "just work"? (isn't that the ubuntu sort-of-slogan?)

Beans

I'm in agreement with Rene8. Not happy with either Unity or Gnome 3's direction, I'm reviewing both Xubuntu and Kubuntu as alternatives, leaning toward Xubuntu for now.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Ubuntu. Unity is a deal-breaker for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: Is the old desktop gui layout gone??

Quote Originally Posted by tazzarias View Post
    I'm in agreement with Rene8. Not happy with either Unity or Gnome 3's direction, I'm reviewing both Xubuntu and Kubuntu as alternatives, leaning toward Xubuntu for now.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Ubuntu. Unity is a deal-breaker for me.
    You do realize that Xubuntu and Kubuntu both contain the letters "ubuntu" don't you?

Use whatever interface makes you happy.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    You do realize that Xubuntu and Kubuntu both contain the letters "ubuntu" don't you?

Use whatever interface makes you happy.
    Indeed, and a sad irony it is. The imitation, in this case, is vastly superior to the original. Choice in UI interfaces is never a BAD thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Unity is like to my mind a fake Mac ridiculous and gimmicky

Desktop-Gnome always best so far for me here too.
    Last edited by shantiq; October 17th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    You can try this to revert to classic gnome: http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-...neiric-ocelot/
    but Gnome 2 is no longer being developed, which is why Ubuntu is pushing Gnome 3, gnome-shell and Unity.
    This worked for me! Thanks very much for the tip!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You're welcome. If your question is answered please mark the thread as 'Solved' under Thread Tools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast