Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

Beans

Re: Three-Finger Tap on Touchpad Broken 11.10...

This worked for me, thank you!

Before I would never get a Touchpad tab in settings but it worked. It was just 4finger middle click and 3finger right click. Odd

Quote Originally Posted by ryszka3 View Post
    The problem is with the ubuntu patches against xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package.

The solution to the problem is simple - just replace the ubuntu-provided package with one without those patches.

Here's how:

Download the appropriate Debian package from this site: (choose your architecture, either i386 or amd64)

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-b...nput-synaptics

Then remove the original package from your system and replace it with the one downloaded.
    Reboot the system and 3-finger tapping should be working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ryszka3 View Post
    First of all remove the original package
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    Do not extract the contents of the .deb file. Just type the command:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.4.1-1~bpo60+1_amd64.deb
    then restart.

There's one more thing. The update manager will try to replace it back. If you have synaptic package manager, find the newly installed package and "lock version" (there's an option in the menu, once you select the appropriate package)
    Excellent concise directions! Thanks, solved

Beans

Installing a deb from a different distribution seems overkill when you can apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager and disable "unity MT grab handles" plugin (it worked for me, even if it made ccsm and unity crash just after deactivating it)
    After that all you have to do to get 3-finger tap working as middle-click is synclient TapButton3=2
    BTW, I'm on precise, not on oneiric.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have to say, darkvad0r, that was an excellent suggestion. I'm on Xubuntu, and after a recent update my 3-finger tap (middle-click) no longer worked. I've now added

Code:
    synclient TapButton3=2
    to Application Autostart in Session and Startup system settings, and middle-click is reinstated every time on startup. A lot easier than previous suggestions (and future-proof, too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer_boy View Post
    Have to say, darkvad0r, that was an excellent suggestion. I'm on Xubuntu, and after a recent update my 3-finger tap (middle-click) no longer worked. I've now added

Code:
    synclient TapButton3=2
    to Application Autostart in Session and Startup system settings, and middle-click is reinstated every time on startup. A lot easier than previous suggestions (and future-proof, too).
    Thank you! Worked perfectly without any messy installs.

Just a quick word: you can enter this at the command prompt [with prefacing sudo] to test if it will work on yoru machine before putting it on the Application Autostart list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer_boy View Post

Code:
    synclient TapButton3=2
    Here's a nicer way to make this setting persistant
    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...recise/c50lnj1

Using this method avoids issues like gnome overwriting the synclient setting after suspend/resume.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

I always want to have two finger click does the middle mouse button, and three finger does right click, so I modified the line to look like this

synclient TapButton2=2 TapButton3=3

then how you make it persistent is your choice, hope this helps!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123