Thread: winbind

Beans

winbind

Hey, newbie question. well, not exactly new but i'm still clueless. I tried to find the answer to this but I can't find anything definitive. I was trying to speed up my boot time. Right now I can see in bum boot-up manager that i have winbind as a service. I have looked it up and i see that it's some kind of samba whatever used to connect to windows machines. i don't do any kind of networking or server anything. i just have a personal laptop. the most connecting i do is to my landlord's wireless router and to the wireless router at work. is that something i need winbind/samba for or can i disable/remove it?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: winbind

Quote Originally Posted by rmlrml View Post
    Hey, newbie question. well, not exactly new but i'm still clueless. I tried to find the answer to this but I can't find anything definitive. I was trying to speed up my boot time. Right now I can see in bum boot-up manager that i have winbind as a service. I have looked it up and i see that it's some kind of samba whatever used to connect to windows machines. i don't do any kind of networking or server anything. i just have a personal laptop. the most connecting i do is to my landlord's wireless router and to the wireless router at work. is that something i need winbind/samba for or can i disable/remove it?

thanks
    If you are not using Samba you can safely remove Winbind. Winbind is usually installed when you explicitly install it. I wonder how it got installed.

Just to make sure if it really is installed can you post the output of
    Code:
    pgrep -l win
    This will show the winbindd service if it indeed is running.

You can remove Winbind through Synaptics (search term winbind) or you can remove it from the command line like this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge winbind

Beans

Re: winbind

Thanks! Yes pgrep showed it was running and i see in synaptic that it's installed. I have no idea why, could have been a careless selection i made in synaptic at some point?? samba isn't installed, but winbind is. Thanks for your help!