Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 very slow.

Beans

11.10 very slow.

I just installed 11.10 on my sisters Acer Aspire Revo Nettop.

it has a 1.6ghz dual core atom.
    1gb memory
    ION chipset/GPU
    160gb 2.5" hard disk

She was running ubuntu 10.04 before, but she decided it was time for an update.

after install, unity runs like a DOG on this machine, constantly hanging, stuttering, moving windows around is hard, and typing is a pain as many key presses are getting ignored.

I noticed that its using a lot of memory, ~750mb at desktop and about 200mb of swap used.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements states 1gb is okay, yet its swapping a lot when doing nothing!

I tried using CCSM to disable extra effects that are not really needed, every single plugin i disabled would cause the system to freeze, so I would have to reboot every time I disabled a plugin.

I have ran "top" a few times to see what is using up CPU power:
    "aptd" is using 100% of 1 if the cores shortly after booting.
    a little later ubuntuone-sync was hogging 1 core of the cpu, and she doesnt even have a ubuntuone account!! so there is no need for that to even be running.
    I tried to change her back ground, and the gnome-control-c started eating 190% of her cpu (its dual core)

when running "uptime" all load averages we over 2.5, when the system isn't even being used for anything intensive.

for some reason, on this install even simple tasks seem to be swamping the cpu :S

apart form the obvious "roll back to prev version" is there any advice any one can give me to get it to perform better?
    Last edited by markp1989; October 16th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: 11.10 very slow.

I had the same problem, my only advice would be to either tough it out or use an older version. 11.10 will be pretty buggy right now, as time goes on though it will get better. Just hang on and try to wait for 12.04!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

how does unity-2d perform? (select it at the login screen)

Beans

I have the same report, unfortunately. The Revo is pretty unresponsive given the specs. I also tried running Gnome 3 as the gui---extremely heavy on the cpu usage and cripples the box.

Beans

I was facing similar problems with Unity, so I gave Xubuntu a shot. I could almost say I'm beginning to like it more than Gnome... much snappier than Unity on my small notebook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think I heard somwhere that there were some memory leak problems with unity...?

Beans

For mi it's been very slow and buggy. Fortunately I kept 11.04 in my other computers. The one running Ubuntu 11.10 is mostly useles now. Hope patches would be released soon.

Beans

Thanks all for the replies!

I have selected Unity 2d, it seems to be running pretty well, so I'm just gonna let her carry on using that.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

my netbook(hpmini-210) is a single core atom and it still runs 11.10 with ease. i dont see any problem in 11.10.(with unity not unity2d)
    i think u should do a fresh install instead of upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    I just installed 11.10 on my sisters Acer Aspire Revo Nettop.

it has a 1.6ghz dual core atom.
    1gb memory
    ION chipset/GPU
    160gb 2.5" hard disk

She was running ubuntu 10.04 before, but she decided it was time for an update.

after install, unity runs like a DOG on this machine, constantly hanging, stuttering, moving windows around is hard, and typing is a pain as many key presses are getting ignored.

I noticed that its using a lot of memory, ~750mb at desktop and about 200mb of swap used.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements states 1gb is okay, yet its swapping a lot when doing nothing!

I tried using CCSM to disable extra effects that are not really needed, every single plugin i disabled would cause the system to freeze, so I would have to reboot every time I disabled a plugin.

I have ran "top" a few times to see what is using up CPU power:
    "aptd" is using 100% of 1 if the cores shortly after booting.
    a little later ubuntuone-sync was hogging 1 core of the cpu, and she doesnt even have a ubuntuone account!! so there is no need for that to even be running.
    I tried to change her back ground, and the gnome-control-c started eating 190% of her cpu (its dual core)

when running "uptime" all load averages we over 2.5, when the system isn't even being used for anything intensive.

for some reason, on this install even simple tasks seem to be swamping the cpu :S

apart form the obvious "roll back to prev version" is there any advice any one can give me to get it to perform better?
    The reason your sister's net top is running slow with Ubuntu 11.10 is that it is using 3/4 of the available memory. I would recommend Upgrading to 2 Gigabytes. I would also recommend getting a larger capacity hard drive, but make sure it spins at 7200 RPM.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast