Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 & UNITY - A big mistake!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Ubuntu 11.10 & UNITY - A big mistake!

Ok, Unity is great for casual users that just want to click on stuff and know very little about their system. It isn't too bad to move around in.

But come on! You can't easily adjust any of the properties of any of the icons, get to the administration tool or anything.

It seems it has all gotten so much harder to customize. And what got many of us into Lynux? Choices!

Yeah, we want it to be easy to use and we want software to be easy to install. Who doesn't? But we don't want stuff to radically change every time an upgrade comes along.

I am a web developer and I have a set way of working with my development sites and pushing things into production. And darn-it all to heck! I have to set it all up again with the latest release and it is proving to be harder to do this go around because so many things have been hidden or simply removed unless I know the command line actions to use.

Where is the administration menu? I know some of the items were bundled into the system settings but a lot of stuff is missing.

Is it just me? Or do others hate these drastic changes and vanishing tools?
    Glenn J. Schworak - Running nothing but Ubuntu on my servers and laptops!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 & UNITY - A big mistake!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

You and many others.

I'm still with 10.10 but am testing out debian as a possible alternative.

Geffers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Same here, but this is very simple 2 step thing to do to get old style back:

1. run "sudo apt-get install gnome-shell"
    2. logoff and select gnome classic before logon (only need to do once)
    3. install "Advanced settings" application
    4. From Advanced Settings select Desktop -> Have file manager handle the desktop -> off
    that's all

steps 3 and 4 get rid of the nautilus menu hiding beneath the top panel.

-KeLa-
    ---
    Be paranoid. God is always building a better idiot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by schworak View Post
    Ok, Unity is great for casual users that just want to click on stuff and know very little about their system. It isn't too bad to move around in.

But come on! You can't easily adjust any of the properties of any of the icons, get to the administration tool or anything.

It seems it has all gotten so much harder to customize. And what got many of us into Lynux? Choices!

Yeah, we want it to be easy to use and we want software to be easy to install. Who doesn't? But we don't want stuff to radically change every time an upgrade comes along.

I am a web developer and I have a set way of working with my development sites and pushing things into production. And darn-it all to heck! I have to set it all up again with the latest release and it is proving to be harder to do this go around because so many things have been hidden or simply removed unless I know the command line actions to use.

Where is the administration menu? I know some of the items were bundled into the system settings but a lot of stuff is missing.

Is it just me? Or do others hate these drastic changes and vanishing tools?
    While I can agree with you, that casual users can easily adopt, I don't think "power users" (I hate this description) won't get along with it. To be honest, for me working has become much easier, because Unity stays out of my way - unless I need it.

But it is true, that some config tools are not THAT visible. You'll find system settings from the power cog in the right upper corner. And system settings (or gnome-control-center) is something that has been cut down to minimum config - not by the Ubuntu folks but by the Gnome devs (thank you, boys).

Another point is, that CCSM (or compizconfig-settings-manager) is not installed by default. It gives access to some useful (compiz and Unity) config options. I recommend to install it and have a look around. Another program you might wanna poke about is dconf-editor, which isn't user-friendly either but still... Install dconf-tools if you want to have a look at it.

If I can be of any other help, just ask.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by schworak View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, this is who Canonical is mostly targeting with Ubuntu (Unity specifically. Sever edition not so much.). Power users are not going to like it as much due to it's dumbed-down nature (I think the world in general needs to stop dumbing things down, but that's a whole 'nother story). That's why there are other things like KDE which are more generally pointed to more tech-savvy people. Not saying KDE is useless for people who don't have the skills as a long time sys-admin, far from it. But anyway, the main thing about Linux is choices, Unity is just another choice. If you don't like it, that's absolutely fine. Just pick something else.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

I dunno. I'm just a home user and I love KDE4. But then I love Gnome 3 and Unity too. I don't think I've had any trouble with any DE or window manager put in front of me especially.

Adaptability is a fact of life when you run more than one OS.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti