Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 on Sony Vaio

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 on Sony Vaio

Hi Everyone
    I have Sony Vaio VGN-CR353 and I am using windows vista. Now I want to install Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop.

So bit wondering, Ubuntu 11.10 will support my laptop? Will I get any driver problems?

Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 on Sony Vaio

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Sony Vaios vary a lot in their hardware specifications. For some Ubuntu just works, and for others users experience certain difficulties.

My VGN-NS20S, which originally came with Vista, has worked very well for me with every version of Ubuntu since 9.04/Jaunty, with the exception of Maverick/10.10 when the Fn-key combinations stopped working. A recently acquired VPCEJ gives poor graphics with its nvidia GPU with the default nouveau driver, but this is solved by installing the proprietary nvidia driver. But I haven't been able to get the Fn keys to work in 11.10. The brightness notification appears on-screen when I do the Fn+F5/F6 combination, but the brightness doesn't change.

Best advice is to run 11.10 from a live CD or live USB and see what works and what doesn't work. What's the GPU on your machine, and do you know the wireless chipset?

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 on Sony Vaio

Hey Buddy
    Thanks for the quick reply. That's good suggestion to run live CD first.
    Well, my GPU is ATI Mobility Radeon™ X2300 with dedicated 128 MB memory. And sorry, I dont know what's wireless chipset.
    If you are talking about Network Adapters then I have Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link.
    Let me know if you need any other info.
    Cheers.