Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrage to 11.10 reboot failed

Beans

Re: Upgrage to 11.10 reboot failed

i had made the changes to the root= parameter and modprobe pata_macio and that didn't do anything also i had upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 so i think doing changing the yabootconfig with sudo nano to that file was needed. the problem was more that i didn't know what i should change the root= to so i tried different extensions like sda or sdb or hda or anything all coming up with the yaboot error

i found out how to boot to disc and by the time you posted i had already written over everything i am going to redo the install and i will probably get the same error when i try to upgrade to 11.10 from 11.04 mini.iso disk so i will come back then

Beans

Ok so I reinstalled then updated to 11.10 again same error and I did exactly what you said with adding the modprobe pata_macio line to the initramfs file and I confirmed it with the update line and I rebooted but same busybox error comes up

One other thing when running update-initramfs -u I get an error saying it can't create a hard link cannot create a regular file that's in boot/initrd.img and so on

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by new to ubutnu View Post
    Ok so I reinstalled then updated to 11.10 again same error and I did exactly what you said with adding the modprobe pata_macio line to the initramfs file and I confirmed it with the update line and I rebooted but same busybox error comes up
    You should just add "pata_macio" not "modprobe pata_macio". If you still get an error, then can you print it out exactly please.

Beans

ok i had only added pata_macio, modprobe pata_macio, modprobe pata_macio and on the next line exit but when i went back to just pata_macio it worked so thank you rsavage for the help

one more thing i used your post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=1 to install the programs and gui but now it wont go into the gui just a command line interface even before i updated so how can i fix that

Beans

If you are following the guide then it says to upgrade before installing the GUI.

Any GUI problems are best sorted on a new thread, but I wrote a massive section in the guide on how to solve them. I will help you if you don't understand something in that section, but please try to follow the information in the guide first. Considering the time difference between us, ultimately you'll getter a quicker setup that way.

Beans

in your article there is a place for no gui just a blank screen which i dont have i have a cli environment

also where should we go for new thread about gui thanks

Beans

I have re-tweaked the 'Screen Resolution/Blank screen/No GUI' instructions yet again to try and make them clearer.

If you have any problems I would suggest posting them on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1888881 since it is about a similar computer to your own and is the thread I link to from my instructions. It would be good if you could test some things.

Beans

Smile Re: Upgrage to 11.10 reboot failed

2004 G4 ibook, CPU PPC 800mhz, RAM 1.1GiB, HD 320GB IDE
    5 partitions, Triple Boot.
    yaboot error on Upgrade from 11.4 to 11.10

Firstly big thanks to rsavage and the other posters.
    (There is nothing new in this post, just a single description of what worked for me and the ibook).

After initial despair at getting a constant hang with the error warning:

WARNING bootdevice may be renamed. Try root=/dev/sda11

Gave up waiting for root device....

I had my first success by typing
    Code:
    old
    in the second stage of the yaboot boot screen, this for me prevented the BusyBox shell and loaded the old 10.4 kernel.
    - The 11.10 sign-in screen came up. I could now successfully sign in and the upgraded version of Ubuntu 11.10 loaded. - I found that a couple of modules had not been upgraded correctly, so I re-ran the upgrade manager and successfully completed the install. - this was progress.
    The ¨pata_macio¨ tip was for me to turn out to be a dead end...

Despite the successful reboot and correcting the failed modules of the original install, on the subsequent attempt to run 11.10 I had the same ¨boot device renamed¨ error (; when no additional commands were added to the second yaboot login screen). It attempted to load the 11.10 kernel screen only to run the BusyBox shell and hang at the initramfs prompt, so I tried the...
    Code:
    modprobe pata_macio
    ctrl+ D
    then
    Code:
    root=/dev/sda11
    (sda11 being my Ubuntu partition) - but no luck
    However after reboot, by using
    Code:
    Linux root=/dev/sda11
    instead of ¨old¨ in the second stage of the yaboot login screen, I as able to boot directly into Ubuntu 11.10 and signin. - more progress
    This time I decided (as per the recommendations of earlier posts) to change the name of the partitions used in the yaboot config file from hda to sda.

In terminal
    to open the yaboot config file use.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf
    You can use the up down, left right arrow keys to navigate around the list of partions to change their names from hda to sda. (In the example of my Linux partition, hda11 became sda11, and hda12 became sda12, and so on for all 5 of my partitions).

Save the changes of the yaboot config file by ...
    Code:
    ctrl+ D
    (that is by pressing the control key and the letter D)Then the changed yaboot file must be copied to the boot partition. Use
    Code:
    sudo ybin -v
    Then restart and success, system boots smoothly into 11.10 with no errors, (and no need to add any additional information to the second stage of the yaboot screen).

Seems that my problem (with the ibook) was caused by the renaming of the partitions from hda to sda in the 11.10 upgrade and the old yaboot config file pointing with the deprecated partition naming scheme. Fortunately the new install does not seem to have any other of the reported errors.

Thanks again,once again, ¨I am living the dream¨.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123