Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrage to 11.10 reboot failed

Beans

Re: Upgrage to 11.10 reboot failed

This is an upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 because there was an error with installing straight to 11.10 (no hard drive found) I had used an article saying how to install lubuntu through a minimal cd in cliThe computer is a 400 MHz iMac g3 with 512 ram

Beans

Oh I had said Ada when I ment Sda sorry also I don't know how to use old besides entering it in which I did and nothing happened

Beans

i got past the busybox error with the pata_macio command with ctrl+d
    but now i have a different problem it was supposed to boot to gui but it just went to cli and it wont let me change the yaboot file to make the file boot everytime (i used sudo yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3 or sda1 or sda)

Beans

It will only boot to a GUI if you have installed a GUI.

If you have a standard install with only linux and no mac os then you should run "sudo yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3". If you have installed linux on a different partition (other than 3) then you need to ammend the command accordingly.

Since you needed to modprobe the pata_macio module then you should run the commands in post 8.

I will try and ammend the instructions to make this clearer.

Beans

for the gui i think i used your article on how to install lubuntu on ppc at this website http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=1
    so i should have the gui after the code there

i had an external hard drive plugged in so that turned out to be my sda and the only other thing i have in /dev that looks like a disk is sdb but when i edit the yaboot.conf to boot to this the openfirmware says it doesn't have a partition on it

i dont know where the drive is so here are some that could be all with different numbers(i.e. 0,1,2,3,4,5): vcsa, ram, tty, usbmon, loop, vcs, hvc

also i tried the sudo yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3 and other extension but like i said i dont know which is which

thanks for the help

Beans

I'm a bit confused. Are you still at a command line?

If "sudo yabootconfig -r /dev/sda3" etc has always produced an error message then I don't think it will have ammended any files and you will probably be able to reboot okay.

To make sure though open the yaboot.conf with

sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf

and look at the root= line. If it is UUID="blah-blah-blah-blah" then you'll be okay I think.

i dont know where the drive is so here are some that could be all with different numbers(i.e. 0,1,2,3,4,5): vcsa, ram, tty, usbmon, loop, vcs, hvc
    They're not drives.

I'm off to bed now....

Beans

Forgot to say use the commands

sudo blkid
    cat /etc/fstab

to find out about your partitions.

Beans

i used sudo yabootconfig -r /dev/sdb because the external hard drive was sda and nothing else looked like a drive and i confirmed to writing a yaboot.conf file on there or something and when i rebooted it caused the same error but the modprobe pata_macio didn't work so i can't get into ubuntu at all

All thats there is a (initramfs) line with the computer waiting for a command

i think i screwed something up so i want to get back to where i was but it would be nice to do a fresh ubuntu install if nothing else so what is the command to boot from my cd because i dont know how to do that

Beans

I have amended the ‘lubuntu’ instructions to try and make it clearer for people doing a new install.

As I understand it, you will end up at a BusyBox shell for one or more of following reasons:
    1. You need to ‘modprobe’ the pata_macio module (only needed for some computers)
    2. You need to change the root= parameter (only needed if you do successive upgrades from an old version of ubuntu?)
    3. You need to ‘modprobe’ some other module (G5s?)

By the sounds of it you only had problem 1, but by trying the fixes for 2 you have made things worse.

Personally, I wouldn’t use the yabootconfig command. It reformats your bootstrap partition and therefore I would imagine there is a greater chance of things going wrong. I would use the ybin command instead as I describe in post #8.

You shouldn’t have to re-install. All you need to do is work out the path to where you installed ubuntu (but, only you can do this). I don’t understand why you can’t boot a cd as you must have done it previously? At the first yaboot prompt you can press ‘c’ to boot the cd.

For future people, if the problem is 3 then I would suggest running the old 11.04 kernel or a recent live cd (12.04) and using the “lsmod” and “lspci -k” commands to work out what modules you need. If the appropriate modules are missing in 11.10 and 12.04 then you need to raise a bug on this. You can overcome it in 11.10 by apt-pinning the 11.04 kernel packages or compiling the appropriate module to add to the 11.10 kernel. You’ll have to do your own research on these things, but feedback the results here for the benefit of other PowerPC users.

Beans

Forgot to say a problem 4 could be:

4. You need to add a rootdelay parameter (maybe needed for USB/firewire)

See links in 'lubuntu' instructions for more on this, but most people's problems when this occurs on an upgrade will be 1 to 3 I would of thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast