Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skype icon has disappeared after updating to 11.10

Beans

Re: Skype icon has disappeared after updating to 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by roobinatube View Post
    I have realised the easiest way to avoid the "gnome-panel --replace" issue, is make sure that skype starts after gnome-panel. I was having some issues because sometimes the skype icon would be present, others not. I figure this was because "gnome-panel --replace" was actually happening before skype started!

So I found the most consistant thing to do is delete the startup entries for skype and "gnome-panel --replace", and add my own shell script.

Code:
    gedit ~/.skype-start.sh
    Copy/paste this into the file:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sleep 10
    Then make it executable (or right click > properties >permissions > allow executing):
    Code:
    chmod +x ~/.skype-start.sh
    Then add this as a startup item. 10 seconds should be plenty on most systems to guarantee skype starts after everything else.
    Works perfectly. Thanks so much

Beans

I use 11.04 with classic gnome, but have the same problem, ie the skype icon does not appear in the panel, so I cannot even tell whether I am signed in or not.

Is there a way to make the green tick icon appear in the top panel? How should I modify the proposed whitelisting command to work on Gnome classic?

Thanks

Beans

I can see the icon after I turn it on manually.

Is there a way for it to load at startup?

I did find it in my startup....
    Last edited by Momof9Blessings; January 11th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Beans

these instructions are workign fine.. but i do not know how to "ad it to start up"

I have made the file as per intsructions... but i can not even run it form the console... like when i do a ls -ls I can see ti and it is green... .

But how do i add this to my startup items, maybe you cna only run it from there?

Beans

Re: Jynks

Try '~/.skype-start.sh' to run the script from the command line. You need to type the full path to the script (or an abbreviation, like ~ which means home directory) unless said script is in a directory in the PATH, or the shell will not be able to find it.

To add the script to startup, go to 'Gear->Startup Applications', click Add, Browse for the script (or just put '~/.skype-start.sh' as the Command,) give it a Name and optionally a Comment, hit Add, and make sure the new entry is enabled. Note: the Gear is the icon at the top right of your Unity environment, the same one you click before you Shut Down your computer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12