Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype icon has disappeared after updating to 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Skype icon has disappeared after updating to 11.10

Hey, I've just updated my ubuntu to 11.10, but for some reason the skype's icon (in the right left cornor )
    has disappeared. I've tried to reinstall 'sni-qt' but it doesn't seems to work.

Is there something I can do?
    God created the universe in 1 Day, and then spent 5 days making it look good in Internet Explorer

Beans

Re: Skype icon has disappeared after updating to 11.10

yeah, this is what I did. Some applications can be whitelisted as being allowed an icon there.

Code:
     gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist
    gave me: ['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Wine', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Update-notifier', 'Skype']

So then skype must be added to the whitelist. So add skype like below:

Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Wine', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Update-notifier', 'Skype']"
    Now it should work.

I also found, that if you want skype to start at login, and sit in the tray, you need another little trick. I found that the whitelist only works if skype is started manually after login. Add this to the startup list:

Code:
    gnome-panel --replace
    And it all works perfectly for me.

Hope that works for you too.

Roo

Beans

Thanks a lot Roo, it works!

Quote Originally Posted by roobinatube View Post
    yeah, this is what I did. Some applications can be whitelisted as being allowed an icon there.

Code:
     gsettings get com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist
    gave me: ['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Wine', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Update-notifier', 'Skype']

So then skype must be added to the whitelist. So add skype like below:

Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['JavaEmbeddedFrame', 'Wine', 'scp-dbus-service', 'Update-notifier', 'Skype']"
    Now it should work.

I also found, that if you want skype to start at login, and sit in the tray, you need another little trick. I found that the whitelist only works if skype is started manually after login. Add this to the startup list:

Code:
    gnome-panel --replace
    And it all works perfectly for me.

Hope that works for you too.

Roo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Code:
    gnome-panel --replace
    didn't do it for me: I had to log out and log in again to get it working, but work it did .

Code:
    gnome-panel --replace
    did return the regular Gnome panel bottom panel to me, but I didn't really want that

Beans

This is by far the stupidest **** I have seen been put in Ubuntu. Why would there be a white list for notification icons. If i use an application and it has a notification i probably want it displayed. This Unity thing...

Beans

Thanks roobinatube! That did the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Worked perfectly for me! Thanks very much. I've been missing loads of messages. This is wicked. Thanks again.

Beans

I have realised the easiest way to avoid the "gnome-panel --replace" issue, is make sure that skype starts after gnome-panel. I was having some issues because sometimes the skype icon would be present, others not. I figure this was because "gnome-panel --replace" was actually happening before skype started!

So I found the most consistant thing to do is delete the startup entries for skype and "gnome-panel --replace", and add my own shell script.

Code:
    gedit ~/.skype-start.sh
    Copy/paste this into the file:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sleep 10
    Then make it executable (or right click > properties >permissions > allow executing):
    Code:
    chmod +x ~/.skype-start.sh
    Then add this as a startup item. 10 seconds should be plenty on most systems to guarantee skype starts after everything else.

Beans

thanks roobinatube, works fantastically.

Beans

...did not work for me.

Still no Skype notification at the top, and now I have gnome-panel start up every time I boot.

I no longer care about Skype notification even though it is stupid that I just cannot make it appear and that the bloody thing is so buggy that it dies/disappears so often, but I truly, really need to get rid of gnome-panel on boot.

I looked through various threads and solutions and I cannot find anywhere where gnome-panel is included as a boot/session start process.

Please tell me where gnome-panel was added so that I can remove it.

Right now I have to kill -9 gnome-panel every time I start Ubuntu...

V.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast