Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need alternative to ubuntu

Beans

need alternative to ubuntu

For second time since using Ubuntu a simple distribution upgrade has ended up destroying my system. In addition to Dist. Upgrades, this has happened before once with regular updates. Ubuntu 11.04 had way to many issues to be released and I believe my trust in Ubuntu was waining even then.

Ubuntu 11.04 had so many problems I convinced myself it would get better with 11.10. However this does not seem to be the case. I lost a tremendous amount of data this time and it can not be recovered. I simply cannot afford to continue to trust Ubuntu.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — [pauses] — shame on you. Fool me — [pauses] — You can't get fooled again. " - President Bush.

I'm done with ubuntu and I need an alternative OS.

Any suggestions will be considered. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: need alternative to ubuntu

I was using Xubuntu for some time and really enjoyed it -

You can burn a disk from the ISO to try it out -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Lightbulb Re: need alternative to ubuntu

Well, Debian tries very hard to make sure that when they release it, it works. But it is not as easy to configure as Ubuntu. Maybe you could try Mint, but I never have. Really, all OS's have bugs, even the industrial strength Unix's.

Personally, I have tried Debian, Suse, FreeBSD, Arch, Puppy, and probably a couple of others. I have always come back to Ubuntu (I am still playing with Arch, as a test installation).

I guess you just have to choose your own poison.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by judderwocky View Post
    For second time since using Ubuntu ... I lost a tremendous amount of data this time and it can not be recovered. I simply cannot afford to continue to trust Ubuntu.
    Well... I suppose it's something that has to be beaten into a person, over and over again, but if you're trusting a single location for any important data, well, you're asking for it. You're not describing an Ubuntu issue, you're describing an "I don't have a backup" issue.

Yes, this upgrade was nasty, the worst I've had to do since starting with 6.04. But, I don't lose data, not anymore. Dead drives, failed updates, stupid mistakes... they all take their toll. Sooner or later, a person learns. Switch distros if you want, but you'll be dealing with data loss no matter where you go - until you learn.

Me, I'm just waiting for Gubuntu... why not? There's Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... why not Gubuntu? I miss my gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
    Well... I suppose it's something that has to be beaten into a person, over and over again, but if you're trusting a single location for any important data, well, you're asking for it. You're not describing an Ubuntu issue, you're describing an "I don't have a backup" issue.

Yes, this upgrade was nasty, the worst I've had to do since starting with 6.04. But, I don't lose data, not anymore. Dead drives, failed updates, stupid mistakes... they all take their toll. Sooner or later, a person learns. Switch distros if you want, but you'll be dealing with data loss no matter where you go - until you learn.

Me, I'm just waiting for Gubuntu... why not? There's Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... why not Gubuntu? I miss my gnome.

Next question. how do i delete this forum account?

Beans

Let me get this straight.. You upgraded Ubuntu once, you lost important data. 6 months later, you upgraded Ubuntu AGAIN, and lost important data AGAIN?! How could that happen when you are living in a time where CDs, DVDs, flash disks, cheap internal and external hard disks and clouds all exist??

Anyway, I can't help you picking up a better system, because I thoroughly believe that Ubuntu is the best free operating system out there..

One more advice.. Never EVER upgrade Ubuntu.. A new version = a new installation, and you can use that as an opportunity to upgrade all of your applications.. I had 100+GB of data in almost quarter a million files, and it didn't take me more than 3 hours to install Ubuntu, get my files back like they where before the installation, and install new versions of the programs I always use.. Shouldn't be that difficult..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Meelad View Post
    Let me get this straight.. You upgraded Ubuntu once, you lost important data. 6 months later, you upgraded Ubuntu AGAIN, and lost important data AGAIN?! How could that happen when you are living in a time where CDs, DVDs, flash disks, cheap internal and external hard disks and clouds all exist??

Anyway, I can't help you picking up a better system, because I thoroughly believe that Ubuntu is the best free operating system out there..

One more advice.. Never EVER upgrade Ubuntu.. A new version = a new installation, and you can use that as an opportunity to upgrade all of your applications.. I had 100+GB of data in almost quarter a million files, and it didn't take me more than 3 hours to install Ubuntu, get my files back like they where before the installation, and install new versions of the programs I always use.. Shouldn't be that difficult..
    Well, thanks for all the terrific help.

After posting on here for help for months on various things, this is the only response I've gotten.

Also, everything after 10.10 has been buggy and Ubuntu has been a down slow spiral.

Can I retrieve some of the data? Yes. It will STILL mean days of down time as it is recovered piece by piece.

Ubuntu = ****.

Delete the account, censor this i don't give a ****.

I'm done with all the ubuntu *** hats.

Done with telling everybody how wonderful ubuntu is while it ***** me in the ***.

Don't even bother responding, im putting everything on this site and email as spam/blocked.
    Last edited by judderwocky; October 16th, 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Moved to recurring discussions. What alternatives to Ubuntu has been done before many times.

In addition to Dist. Upgrades....
    Dist upgrades have not been supported for years.

how do i delete this forum account?
    You cannot. Go to the Resolution Center and ask the admins to disable it.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I once lost data too when I'd upgraded to Karmic, I believe, but I'd left important upgrades on my then current distro (Jaunty). I simply jumped to the upgrade distro so I think that messed up my system. Perhaps that happened too? And you can always partition your hard drive or transfer data to an external hard drive for backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi judderwocky.

Sorry to hear that.

To delete your account, you need to ask an administrator to do it.

Go to the Resolution Center.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast